Riding Lawn Mower Purchase: CVT vs Hydrostatic Transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Craftsman built by Husqvarna that has a CVT trans and a Kohler 7000 engine.

did you see this?

Here is the list: You can go to this article to learn more about these manufactures: Riding Mower Brands
http://todaysmower.com/2011/riding-mower-brands/

Who Makes Craftsman Riding Mowers?

Craftsman Riding Mowers: The R1000 is made by MTD.

Who Makes Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractors?

Craftsman T1000, T1400, T1600 series: MTD, there are three Lawn Tractors for 2014

Who Makes Sears Craftsman Yard Tractors?

Craftsman T2000 Series, T3000 Series with Turn Tight: Husqvarna (These mowers are still made in the same plant that used to be owned by AYP (Amercian Yard Products) and Electrolux. Husqvarna is now the world’s largest Lawn & Garden Equipment Manufacture)

Who Makes Sears Craftsman Garden Tractors?

Craftsman G5100, G5500 with Turn Tight: Husqvarna

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a pic of what I use to mow/work my piddly .5 acre; definitely overkill but they both will outlast me and be handed down to one of the kids at some point. Left one is a X series diesel, full hydraulics, 3 point & FEL and the right one is a LX277 AWS which gets the bulk of the mowing chores.

You're one of those guys that hunt whitetail with a .458 Win Mag, aren't you... :)

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were looking at a small ZTR for our lawn - we probably mow about an acre, but it is on a hillside with retaining walls and four levels in the front and three levels with a pretty steep hill in the back. Does anyone have experience with Toro ZTR mowers? They make a 32" model.

Thanks!

Cedar Creek

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were looking at a small ZTR for our lawn - we probably mow about an acre, but it is on a hillside with retaining walls and four levels in the front and three levels with a pretty steep hill in the back. Does anyone have experience with Toro ZTR mowers? They make a 32" model.

Thanks!

Cedar Creek
ZTRs do not do well at all on slopes when there might be a little dew. When you lose rear traction, you also lose all steering. I know a guy who was mowing up close to a pond and the ground of course sloped towards the water. He hit a little wet spot with the rear wheel closest to the water and sideways he went, into the pond.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
did you see this?

Here is the list: You can go to this article to learn more about these manufactures: Riding Mower Brands

Craftsman T1000, T1400, T1600 series: MTD, there are three Lawn Tractors for 2014

Craftsman T2000 Series, T3000 Series with Turn Tight: Husqvarna (These mowers are still made in the same plant that used to be owned by AYP (Amercian Yard Products) and Electrolux. Husqvarna is now the world’s largest Lawn & Garden Equipment Manufacture)

Yes. That guy's site is one of the reasons I even looked at Craftsman. They are made by various manufacturers just like Sears appliances are but with the Craftsman lawn tractors you usually get a little something over the base model that they are based on like a better grade engine, a bit wider cut, or something. I'm pretty sure one of them will be fine for my use.

pb2624

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
did you see this?

Why buy a rebranded Craftsman? Just buy the Husqvarna; my father bought his once the Kubota became a little to much for him to handle and it has been a great machine for them. I specifically like how they come with the C-tek battery tenders and the quick connect battery level indicator on the dash. Both my Deere's will get this modification this fall.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why buy a rebranded Craftsman? Just buy the Husqvarna; my father bought his once the Kubota became a little to much for him to handle and it has been a great machine for them. I specifically like how they come with the C-tek battery tenders and the quick connect battery level indicator on the dash. Both my Deere's will get this modification this fall.

Like I said above you get upgrades from the Craftsman line. They put in the Kohler 7000 series instead of the Courage is one instance. Different models have different things but there is usually something as an upgrade with Craftsman. The base machine doesn't appear to be any different.

I really wish I could get that turn tite model with the Kohler engine. It has a Briggs Platinum and I'm not real sure the Briggs is a good choice these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom