Riding Lawn Mower Purchase: CVT vs Hydrostatic Transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ZTRs do not do well at all on slopes when there might be a little dew. When you lose rear traction, you also lose all steering. I know a guy who was mowing up close to a pond and the ground of course sloped towards the water. He hit a little wet spot with the rear wheel closest to the water and sideways he went, into the pond.

I agree. My Bad Boy ZTR is a bugger to run on a slope sideways. One lever all the way forward and the other back leaving a skid mark. Its ok though going up and down. Not sideways.

pb2624

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said above you get upgrades from the Craftsman line. They put in the Kohler 7000 series instead of the Courage is one instance. Different models have different things but there is usually something as an upgrade with Craftsman. The base machine doesn't appear to be any different.

I really wish I could get that turn tite model with the Kohler engine. It has a Briggs Platinum and I'm not real sure the Briggs is a good choice these days.

Just speaking from my personal experiences of owning a rider for the last +15 years and having multiple machines pass through my hands (own 5 currently, as many as 7 at one time) the Kawasaki air cooled V-twins have been the least amount of trouble when compared to the Onans, Briggs, Kohlers, and the hand grenade Tecumsehs. My order of preference for the small engines is Yanmar diesel, Kawi V-twin gas, Honda gas based on IMO Kawi and Honda use better carburetors than any of the other brands. My 95 Kawi 14hp single was still running like a top with the original untouched carb when I parted it this spring, I was very impressed with Mikuni's product after 20 years of use.

Make sure to do your home work on the turn tite model as there have been a lot of unkind words by owners about how well the design actually works and some weakness in the hardware used (also beware of the keyless ignition). The other thing I would worry about is the longevity of the Craftsman/Sears brand with all the company issues they have had lately.

If you want an unbiased opinion I have a guy I know that rebuilds about 200 small engines for extra cash and he will give you a no nonsense report on who is selling absolute junk in the yard equipment world today. If anybody needs top notch carb rebuild instead of buying a new one just shoot me a PM as he does great work and they look brand new when they return.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just speaking from my personal experiences of owning a rider for the last +15 years and having multiple machines pass through my hands (own 5 currently, as many as 7 at one time) the Kawasaki air cooled V-twins have been the least amount of trouble when compared to the Onans, Briggs, Kohlers, and the hand grenade Tecumsehs. My order of preference for the small engines is Yanmar diesel, Kawi V-twin gas, Honda gas based on IMO Kawi and Honda use better carburetors than any of the other brands. My 95 Kawi 14hp single was still running like a top with the original untouched carb when I parted it this spring, I was very impressed with Mikuni's product after 20 years of use.

Make sure to do your home work on the turn tite model as there have been a lot of unkind words by owners about how well the design actually works and some weakness in the hardware used (also beware of the keyless ignition). The other thing I would worry about is the longevity of the Craftsman/Sears brand with all the company issues they have had lately.

I just wished that Honda made a riding mower these days. You are correct that Kawasaki is the current king and deservedly so, I've talked to several techs in the lawnmower shops and my yard spray guy that runs a Hustler ZRT with a Kawasaki that he absolutely thrashes and Kawasaki is the best as far as they are concerned followed by the top tier Kohlers. Those are the energizer bunnies of mower engines. For push mowers it's Honda. My HRX has about 400 hours on it and it still runs like new. Stabil in the gas, real gas, Amsoil oil, a plug and air filter changes is all that's needed and they run forever. My mom has a commercial Honda that is 30 years old and has never seen the shop since I wheeled it out when she bought it. The thing has fell apart around the engine, the deck is rusted through, the rope you have to wind around it's pulley to start and it still starts 1st pull and runs fine and the trans still works too.

I wish there was just something like Honda/Kawasaki in a homeowner grade machine but sadly there just isn't. My generator has a Yamaha engine that's built like a battleship. Subaru is a good one too in that area too, but I'm not aware of any of either in a riding lawnmower. We need some options somewhere between battleship and hand grenade. :(

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The other thing I would worry about is the longevity of the Craftsman/Sears brand with all the company issues they have had lately.

That's one thing I worry about but I suspect that another company will pick up the Craftsman line, it's a separate entity. Sears has a bunch of separate "divisions" if you will. But if worse comes to worse, I bet that Husqvarna will have parts for the mower itself. Decks, bearings and such.

Edit: Ask your guy whether the Kohler 7000 twin is better than the Brigg & Stratton Platinum single cylinder. I'm thinking it is but I'd like to hear another opinion.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. My Bad Boy ZTR is a bugger to run on a slope sideways. One lever all the way forward and the other back leaving a skid mark. Its ok though going up and down. Not sideways.

Over time that skid mark will turn into a nice worn step with grass and then you have a track you will always find with your tires when you mow. Once broken in, then you have little problem with ZTR on the slopes...lol.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
heads up for those who think a solid riding mowing cost too much .. check out this Wheelhorse with 18hp Kholer with low, low hours for $850 in OKC craigslist. sure it's middle of winter, but that's the best time to buy ..

======

WHEELHORSE LAWN TRACTOR - $850 (bethany)

[Broken External Image]

Wheelhorse D 180 series, 46 inch cut, runs great, new blades, 18 HP Kohler engine. This tractor has only 767 hours. This is a one owner tractor. Will take $850.00, OBO. No text, calls only 405-371-2796.

Latest posts

Top Bottom