Robber shot to death in Tulsa convenience store

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regina

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't feel sorry for him either. He and his accomplice are still the "villains" in this story. I just can't bring myself to treat this situation as a scoring round (i.e. Good guys = 1/Bad guys = 0). No one wins when someone decides to victimize another person.

Those involved with Qualynn Dabney are going to wonder, "Could I have done something different? Is what I'm doing with at risk kids having any impact? Should I throw in the towel and say forget it?" Really, can you imagine putting all of your work and compassion into a project and having something like this happen? Getting the exact result that you were working so hard to provide a deterrent for. And yes, I'll tell you right now that the people speaking the loudest on his side are going to be the ones that failed him. They'll be the ones that'll say, "The clerk should have just given him the money," or "He didn't have to kill him like that!" For every loud mouth there are probably two or three people that worked the hardest to get a different result for this kid, and they have a failure staring them right in the face.

For Mr. Kahn will be judged by medical staff, detectives, attorneys, and the general public - all sitting comfortably within their home or office for a situation that he had seconds to deal with AND imminent threat to life before him. I'm assuming he's probably 1st generation immigrant from the Middle East, where the government aren't always on the straight and narrow and he now has to put his entire future and life in the hands of his new government. All of this while being racked with guilt because he defended himself, did the right thing and he ends up paying for it.

I'm in complete agreement that the ones responsible are the two young men that decided to rob the store. And I understand the, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore," mentality of other folks, but I still can't bring myself to share in the celebratory mentality of Good Guy = 1/Bad Guy = 0. And maybe it is completely contradictory that I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself or someone else, but wouldn't feel an ounce of victory afterward.

All I'm saying (in a ridiculously long post) is that no one won. It's tough all around.

jmtgsx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^
Very well put.
I cant imagine how the people closest to the boy feel, but Mr. Kahn wasn't facing a boy. He was facing a masked gunman. The boy made the ultimate bad decision. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. This is the lesson to be learned.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't assume that Mr. Kahn feels any guilt at all, I suspect you are projecting your feelings on him. Mr. Kahn may actually feel relief that he and the others in the store survived, that he was able to do what was necessary to save lives. He may feel anger that the two robbers put him in the situation in which he had to shoot. He may feel at risk of retribution for his actions.

He may feel a lot of things, or not, but I wouldn't automatically assume that he feels guilt.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A rational man should never feel guilt in this kind of situation.

In the words of Ayn Rand:

“So long as men desire to live together, no man may initiate the use of physical force against others.... When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him by force. It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own.”

Amen.

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mr. Kahn probably feels happy to have survived such an incident. The story I heard on the radio claims the kid came in guns a blazin. Who wouldnt have shot him? We have had some pretty brutal robberies in the days I have lived in Tulsa. My mom sat on a jury for the Lee's Chicken murders when I was a kid. There was a robbery of the QT that was located right by the traffic circle. The perps took the clerk into the walk in freezer and beat him to death with 2 liter bottles of pop. A really good friend of mine had to go there the next day and clean the clerks brains off of the freezer walls.

I feel no pity for a child, kid , or grown man that wants to commit such an act. The young kids that dont truly understand what is at stake when murdering someone are by far the most dangerous. They havent been alive long enough to appreciate anything. The families should have done a better job of disciplining them or letting law enforcement handle it the right way. There is free psychiatric help for welfare families.

There was 15 yr old over around Pine and utica that shot and killed a 12 yr old for not giving him the bicycle he wanted to steal from him. That kids father went on the news saying this is the police departments fault . We tried to have him locked up on several different occaisions , but , they kept letting him go. This dad wasnt sad at all about his son being locked up for murder. He new what kind of monster he had living with him. The police can only do so much. Eventually they have release a juvenile from jail after their time is served.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Incidents like this are why I try to avoid going north of 21st St here in Tulsa. I'm glad there's one less crook on the street, i hope they get the other one. 14 or not, he knew what he was doing.

That's some limited area you have restricted yourself to. If I did the same, I couldn't go to most of my clients' facilities (industrial/manufacturing). The criminals win when we cede territory to them, IMO.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All I'm saying (in a ridiculously long post) is that no one won. It tough all around.

Understandable, to clarify for myself, I don't see it as a game or scoring. However, I DO see it as he "won the fight" so to speak, because he is living.

Regina

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
He may feel a lot of things, or not, but I wouldn't automatically assume that he feels guilt.

Fair enough. Change ....

All of this while being racked with guilt because he defended himself, did the right thing and he ends up paying for it.

To

All of this while being racked with overwhelming emotion (of whatever type) because he defended himself, did the right thing and he ends up paying for it.

Regina

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understandable, to clarify for myself, I don't see it as a game or scoring. However, I DO see it as he "won the fight" so to speak, because he is living.

I understand. I'm not condemning you or anyone else for their feelings or saying that their mentality is wrong, I'm just voicing that I can't relate to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom