Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .223/5.56 NATO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Atleast make it take mini 14 mags.....

In retrospect, I will agree that the Mini 14 mags would have been even a better choice than the AR mags. The Mini 14 mags are already set up for the same type of magazine release feature that the Scout Rifle already has and the AR magazines are not.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking hard at the Mossberg but wasn't impressed with the feel of the action. I was really hoping for a version from another manufacturer with all the features of the scout rifle. This rifle doesn't do it for me for two main reasons. Price and magazine. I don't see what makes this a +$700 rifle and why would they not use the most manufactured 223 magazine on the planet?

The idea of the Scout Rifle, doesn't do it for me. In 308, the cartridge is too versatile to limit to x4 power optics. In 223, it's a step back from an autoloading AR platform. The only advantage I see is reduction of action noise and that does little good on a suppressed .223.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The idea of the Scout Rifle, doesn't do it for me. In 308, the cartridge is too versatile to limit to x4 power optics. In 223, it's a step back from an autoloading AR platform. The only advantage I see is reduction of action noise and that does little good on a suppressed .223.

Interesting points. Is it by definition a scout rifle has to have a 4x optic? To me the scout rifle is more of the "if you only had one rifle" concept. I think that looking at it like that shifts the whole concept to the perception of the user. If I owned one of these rifles in 308, I would have more than a 4x scope on it. Probably something like a 2.5 - 10x, or just a fixed 10x.

I couldn't argree more about it being a step back from an AR.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rightly or wrongly, the concept of the Scout Rifle will always be linked to Jeff Cooper. I do not believe the late Col. would have ever approved of the idea of a Scout Rifle in a poodle shooting caliber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom