Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .223/5.56 NATO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting points. Is it by definition a scout rifle has to have a 4x optic? To me the scout rifle is more of the "if you only had one rifle" concept. I think that looking at it like that shifts the whole concept to the perception of the user. If I owned one of these rifles in 308, I would have more than a 4x scope on it. Probably something like a 2.5 - 10x, or just a fixed 10x.

I couldn't argree more about it being a step back from an AR.

I guess it can have a higher power optic but the use of the iron sights become useless. At what point does it become a standard hunting rifle? I think for the designed application, close and fast is the intent. I really wanted a scout rifle in 308 for my hunting rifle. I was going to put a one piece base that brought the scope back where it needs to be and add a suppressor mount. It would have been a sweet hunting rifle. I haven't head glowing reviews on the accuracy so I modified a Steyr Mountain.
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_09_09_4a7a7a3e.jpg

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it can have a higher power optic but the use of the iron sights become useless. At what point does it become a standard hunting rifle? I think for the designed application, close and fast is the intent. I really wanted a scout rifle in 308 for my hunting rifle. I was going to put a one piece base that brought the scope back where it needs to be and add a suppressor mount. It would have been a sweet hunting rifle. I haven't head glowing reviews on the accuracy so I modified a Steyr Mountain.
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_09_09_4a7a7a3e.jpg

The part about putting the scope where it belongs I'm going to disagree. Have you ever fired a rifle with a forward mounted optic ? I find It way easier to acquire the target with a scope mounted that way. Don't get me wrong I shoot lots of rounds out of "regular mounted" scopes on several rifles and kinda prefer the scout concept. I have the .308 version and like it well however a .223 version yawn. I think I'll pass. I'd much rather have a highly accurate ar. I love my .223 bolt guns but this one doesn't interest me in the least.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had one of the Jeff Cooper Scouts for years and can safely say if I had to get rid of all my guns....which is waaaay too many....it would be the last to go.

This is the most well thought out gun I have ever had. Very accurate,lightweight,versatile, etc.

I have all of Jeff Coopers books, videos, etc. and enjoy them very much, but i fall short of "Cooper worship" There are other gun folks that I admire just as much.

I will say however, he knocked it out of the park with this one.

The only thing I changed is the sling. I just couldn't make friends with the Ching sling supplied. I actually use a M-1 Garand sling on mine.... with added sling studs of course...how crazy is that?

They are a lot of money, but if you run accross one in 308, consider it...I don't think you will be sorry.

I won't comment on the 223...never saw the need to try one. My Mini 14's and super accurate 700 Remington in that caliber take care of that.

My $00.2 worth....and that's about what its worth.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like the concept with the exception of the optic. The only forward mounted optic I've used was low powered and I don't like that on a 308. The only thing that's kept me from buying a ruger gunsite 308 was it's reported accuracy. If anyone has experienced different, I'll consider it for sure. Besides the optic, it's hard to argue the length + caliber + capacity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom