Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .223/5.56 NATO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are all super cool, and I would take any of them, but it seems to me this old Enfield jungle carbine in 308 has been a "Scout Rifle" long before the book written in the 1980s.

Am I missing something on this hype?

I think that 223 that takes the AR mags would be my choice, if'n I was having one, and if'n it was 223. I'm down with the 300 Blackie thing. That would be cool. Still, I'd REALLY like to have one of these 308 short Enfields. They are flippin sweet.

cdn2.armslist.com_sites_armslist_uploads_posts_2013_05_28_1681b36db47b90c3f6bd390e9f6899ad79d2.jpg

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just don't get the reason in this day and age behind a bolt "Scout" rifle.

I can't think of a single purpose that it serves.

Now, an 18" 6.5 Grendel with a 6X optic in the AR platform could do anything I can imagine.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger is coming out with the American bolt action in 300 Blackout. It has a 16-point-something inch barrel already threaded, with a scope base already mounted but not in scout configuration.

Jeff Quinn of Gunblast has a review --
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-AmericanRR.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mGREHA28d-8

I like the feel of the Ruger American compact model with the 18.5 inch barrel. For scout rifle use, it doesn't have the much-beloved Mauser extractor and feed system, but seems like it would be an easy handling little rifle in .223, .308 or 7mm-08. I do have to wonder about the magazine catch, which I believe is just a plastic part on the mag itself.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are all super cool, and I would take any of them, but it seems to me this old Enfield jungle carbine in 308 has been a "Scout Rifle" long before the book written in the 1980s.

Am I missing something on this hype?

I don't have the reference in front of me, but Jeff Cooper had a weight limit for his idea of a scout rifle. IIRC, the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle with its laminated stock, is actually too heavy by Cooper's standards.
As far as caliber, I think he wrote that a scout rifle should be chambered for a cartridge sufficient to hunt up to 400 pound animals.

I also would like to try one of the cut down 7.62 NATO India Enfields made into a shorty. I'm not a great shot however, and suspect the close together iron sights on that model wouldn't be fantastic for me. I'd probably start wondering how good are the so-called "no-gunsmithing" mounts that replace the rear sight to allow a long eye relief scope...

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I've been thinking about having one of those Handi Rifle 300 AACs, and putting iron sights on it. Now THAT is a light little gun, and it thinks it's a 30/30, or 7.62x39. Sure it doesn't shoot as fast, but talk about light and handy.

I would love it if that 300 Ruger took AR mags. That would be dandy.

Yeah, the #5 303 jungle carbine is just over 7 lbs. I wounder how much lighter it could go.

I used to have a bubba style, sporterized 7mm Spanish Mauser. I think I paid $150 for that gun. It was a tiny little thing, and light too. Shoulda kept that one.

Hey! Still have a few crappy pics of it. That was a little feather of a gun. I believe the one under it is the 30-06 that OF bought from me. I think he must have 10,000 Handi Rifles in that caliber alone. He's ate up.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just don't get the reason in this day and age behind a bolt "Scout" rifle.

I can't think of a single purpose that it serves.

Now, an 18" 6.5 Grendel with a 6X optic in the AR platform could do anything I can imagine.

That's kind of the point of a Scout Rifle. It has no one specific purpose, but is good at many things.

Any AR is far less reliable than a good manual bolt action. Which is also another point behind the Scout rifle concept.

The older rifles are nice, but most tend to lack the detachable magazine that the GSR and Mossberg MVP rifles have.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So if simple and light are two major factors, why not keep it really simple, and 86 the bolt action and magazine?

There's no single "THIS is how a scout rifle should be" it's really just a concept. You can read about it here and gather the intent behind it as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rifle

If you think a single-shot would make a good "scout rifle" then that's your preference. Personally, if I were to consider a rifle for not just hunting but for defense I'd like something with a little easier follow-up shots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom