Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .223/5.56 NATO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eric...I'm sure you know this, but in case you don't...the forward optic allows you to keep both eyes open and see the field around your shot. It must be low powered therefore. It also allows you access to your action for "topping off"...another great feature. Also gives a great balanced carry point. As far as accuracy, mine is an easy moa weapon shooting from prone. Around 1/2 to 3/4' from the bench. Once my guns are sighted in, they never see the bench again unless there is a scope change,dropped or damaged, etc. I've never seen a fire fight or even a hunting scenario with a bench rest. :D

Dr J...all I can say is good luck my friend....

Now I think I will ready a couple of flintlocks for an early morning black powder burn...good night all!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck? Good luck with what? I have an AR in 6.5 Grendel and it will shoot just as accurately as your bolt gun. I have a 1-4x Trijicon on it, so I can shoot with both eyes open and the scope is not in my way for changing mags/adding ammo. It does everything a scout rifle does, only better.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck? Good luck with what? It does everything a scout rifle does, only better.
With one small exception it does. A good bolt action--a Mauser action, say--will work anytime, any place. Dirt, sand, mud, ice, snow, lubed, bone dry--whatever, Peter Paul Mauser designed the '98 Mauser action to function in any battlefield environment imaginable, and it does. Mausers thrive in scenarios that would reduce your plastic and aluminum tinker toy to a piss poor club. That's why Cooper specified a bolt gun--he wanted something that would ALWAYS work.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say the odds are way higher than I'll need my "only" weapon to provide the violence of action needed than it will be so dirty as to not work.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easy doc.....take a deep breath and relax...I'm not knocking you or your gun.

Your the one that insisted your semi was the much better gun...and I didn't argue!

I was simply saying how much I liked my scout and why.

Besides, if 20 Chi Coms come down my country drive way at once, I'll wish I had your gun!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh, I think the scout rifle concept is interesting but I also think it's the solution to a problem that doesn't exist (for the majority of shooters), especially with an MSRP of over $1K....before adding glass.

But I still want one. LOL (I actually think I'd go with the MVP for magazine compatibility).

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easy doc.....take a deep breath and relax...I'm not knocking you or your gun.

Your the one that insisted your semi was the much better gun...and I didn't argue!

I was simply saying how much I liked my scout and why.

Besides, if 20 Chi Coms come down my country drive way at once, I'll wish I had your gun!

Thanks and hey, no worries. I just always like to inform people of what's out there. These semi auto AR's do things they aren't supposed to do, like shoot sub-MOA. I think a lot of people are still stuck in the mindset that Col Cooper had when he developed the scout rifle. Times have changed. Technology has changed.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks and hey, no worries. I just always like to inform people of what's out there. These semi auto AR's do things they aren't supposed to do, like shoot sub-MOA. I think a lot of people are still stuck in the mindset that Col Cooper had when he developed the scout rifle. Times have changed. Technology has changed.

My understanding is also that at the time he wrote his "scout rifle" concept, milsurp bolt rifles that ran stripper clips were abundant and cheap, and AR-15s were not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom