Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .223/5.56 NATO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's not really true. Cooper laid out some very specific guidelines for "how it should be".

I just think it's outdated...what exactly are we "scouting" for anyway? Lol.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's not really true. Cooper laid out some very specific guidelines for "how it should be".

I just think it's outdated...what exactly are we "scouting" for anyway? Lol.

"Guidelines" being the operative word here. There are distinguishing characteristics and features, but there aren't many rifles on the market that neatly check all the boxes.

There are groups like the Canadian Rangers, who patrol the Far North regions, who actually wanted to buy the GSR to replace their old Enfields, but Ruger wouldn't contract out to Cold Canada. The concept of the rifle being utterly reliable for reasonable game and fighting while still being handy and light. If you're aware of the guidelines then I'm sure you're aware of vision Cooper had for the rifle concept.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with Big Mc on the reliability issue. The bolt action Mauser has been proven reliable around the world, in all conditions. I'd venture to say that no other type of rifle action has been so proven. And for Cooper, reliability was paramount.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The closest I've come to a scout rifle is my Marlin 336 youth model. I put on an extended recoil pad, extended scope rail along with a LER 10x scope, with backup Skinner iron sights. She shoots really good out to 200yds. She also has a Leatherman full length stock wrap holding 10 rounds. So with the mag tube loaded and the additional 10 rounds, I have 15 rounds ready to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom