Ruger Super Redhawk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You referenced the article in American Hunter magazine earlier I think about the moose getting hit in the head and just being knocked out. If that's what you were reading there's an article in there all about choosing what gun for bear defense. It discusses the various calibers, loads and holsters best for bear defense. Here's the basic formula: 4:3:1 which means a caliber starting with a 4, a bullet weight beginning with a 3 and a velocity of no less than 1000fps. A .44 magnum is definitely powerful enough using the right ammo. A 300+ grain hard cast flat nose bullet going at least 1000fps is enough gun, no need for .454Casulls or .500S&W's. However, if you can shoot the bigger versions as accurately and as fast as a .44 magnum then by all means go for it. They mentioned that the .460S&W is a good choice if you can shoot fast accurate shots but make sure you use a heavy hard cast bullet because most .460 cartridges are designed for flat trajectories at longer distances which are totally wrong for bear defense.

They mention that a chest holster is definitely preferred because hip holsters can be hard to draw quickly from when you are carrying a pack. The Diamond D Guide holster is recommended by pretty much everyone from Alaska that I've read.

I'd chop the end off a SRH just because I can't stand how they look but that's me, some people love them. Why not just take it down to 4-5" and port the barrel? Plenty short enough for fast draws, especially out of a guide chest holster and the porting will get you back on target fast which is great if a big bear is running straight at you with bad intentions. Most hard cast ammo designed for such things offer low flash powder so the whole "blinding" thing people talk about is no longer an issue, Buffalo Bore for example has low flash hard cast ammo.

I'd love to have a S&W 500 or a S&W 460 but with that recoil I don't think I could get one back on target fast enough for even one more accurate follow up shot. I'd stay with your .44 magnum, shorten the barrel, port it and load it with some 300 grain hard cast with a velocity of a 1000 or more and you are good to go. If I ever got a chance to go to big bear land, I'll be carrying my S&W 629 V-Comp .44 mag with Buffalo Bore 305 grain hard cast, gas checked flat nose.

If I were going to buy a "compact" new big bore I'd go with the S&W 460V. It has a 5" ported barrel and can shoot .460S&W, .454 Casull and .45 Colt. If not that a Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt and then get a .454 Casull cylinder made for it.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All this 44 mag talk makes my hand hurt and very appreciative of my 41 mag

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_08_10_ge2ytu7y.jpg

4" model 57 no dash p&r with ported barrel (magna port ??)

Latest posts

Top Bottom