S&w m&p9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This gun has been tugging at me for a while now saying "buy me". I've been a big Glock fan for years but some of the features that the S&W have got me interested. I've also been watching some reviews on Youtube, some good, some bad. I want to hear some of your opinions.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a M&P 9 Pro that I used for an ACP class with about 900 rounds fired, and I've put probably 300 more rounds through it since. I really like it at its price point, the trigger is excellent, and it shoots well with quick follow-up shots possible. The only issue I had with it was when the fiber optic insert in the front sight fell out during the ACP class, and for one round of shooting I had to use the hole in the FS for an aiming point until one of the instructors could install a new insert for me. Good thing it was sunny that day!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't particularly care for the "false reset" rough trigger on the service/compact models (don't know if the Pro has that issue), but for $450 shipped brand new (on Bud's), it's a hard deal to beat. I really enjoy shooting mine in 9mm. Apex makes all the parts you need to make it into a much higher class gun should you want to go that route, but its thin-ness, reliability, and low bore-axis are hard to argue with.

It is a "combat accurate" gun (unless you get the Pro), so keep that in mind.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I liked my Glock 19's but felt that I just wasnt as accurate with them as I could be, so with that said I sold/traded them towards the M&P9 and M&P9c, the 9c I picked up from SSP and I can say that as bad as people say the stock trigger is the only complaint I have about it is the spongey reset, otherwise it handles well and is accurate (once I get back out to the range and dont have to shoot at 25 yard targets I will know just how accurate I am with it at a defensive distance). The M&P9 I picked up from a fellow OSA'er and he had done the duty trigger upgrade and the reset is super noticeable now and the pull is nice and smooth, you know exactly when you have hit the break, again I will not know exactly how accurate I am with it until I can get back to the range again and shoot at defensive distances.

Overall I feel they are built well and they seem to fit me better than the glock's I have had, the changeable backstraps are nice and do add decent options for what fits your hand best.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The S&W armorers course is better than the glocks. S&W actually give you a nice set of tools and a huge discount on a new M&P. As where glock gives you a plastic rod and almost no discount. It seems S&W like to take care of its customers alot better and actually care about their product.

Heres just a few physical things that make them better then a glock..

NO "UNIVERSAL" FINGER GROOVES
HAS A BEAVERTAIL THAT PREVENTS MY FAT HANDS FROM GETTING BIT BY SLIDE WHEN SHOOTING HIGH AS POSSIBLE THE BORE AXIS AND A 360 GRIP. I HAVE SCARS FROM GLOCKS.
AMBIDEXTROUS SLIDE STOP
AMBIDEXTROUS MAG RELEASE
BETTER SLIDE SERATIONS
THINNER (BETTER FOR CARRY)
1 OR 2 EXTRA ROUNDS PER MAG VS GLOCK
STEEL NOVAK CUT SIGHTS (AS WERE GLOCK USES PLASTIC SIGHTS)
THE TAKE DOWN TOOL IS BUILT INTO THE GUN
CHEAPER THAN GLOCKS
ERGONOMICS ARE ALL AROUND BETTER, IMHO. BUT THATS PERSONAL

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't particularly care for the "false reset" rough trigger on the service/compact models (don't know if the Pro has that issue)

It doesn't - the Pro series has a much better trigger. Close to what Mike at Accurate Iron used to install in customers' M&P's, from what I hear.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that if you get the .40S&W, or the .357Sig, you can interchange/add extra barrels. The 9mm does not accept the larger caliber barrels.

I have the M&PCompact in .357Sig with the .40, and 9mm factory barrels, and all of them are accurate and function with no problems.

The factory drop in barrels are usually $65 plus shipping, and a great way to have two or three caliber options.

The 40/357 mags work with 9mm ammo, other than the last round stays in the mag, or you can get 9mm mags for perfect function.

I use to have Glocks, and really liked them, until I got my M&P. The M&P is much more ergonomic, the grip fits my hand so well that I haven't even tried the small or large back straps, and I don't have any problem with the trigger.

Another great option for the M&PC, is using full size mags with the X-Grip, for extra rounds and and a full grip.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot the M&P 9 Pro 5" better than I do some very expensive 1911s and Brn HPs---Dang it!
And I never made friends with the Glock "Luger" grip angle, but like the M&P.
So even an old revolver shooter can find "combat tupperware" he can shoot.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far, it seems like the biggest complaint is the trigger. From watching Youtube and reading some articles, that can be corrected with some parts from Apex.

Latest posts

Top Bottom