Saiga Vs. Any AK47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of Saiga versus what? AK47 Type I/II/III, AKM(IV), AK-74, AK-100?

Saiga is not a term Izhmash used to differentiate U.S. imports, they're also sold to Russian citizens under the same moniker. In Russia they have a chamber that marks spent casings to differentiate civilian vs. military AKs, some of these barrels are in Saigas that were imported here.

Parts differences between let's say an SGL-21(AK-100) and an AKM are muzzle brake, threaded FSB rather than threaded barrel with bayonet lug, 90 degree gas block with accessory, barrel profile, RSB, sight leaf(can be different graduations), trunnion, piston, bolt, carrier, and rear folding stock. The front trunnion features the most notable improvements of the removal of the bolt rotation being initiated by the bullet guide and the "rivet" instead of a machined bolt lug interface on the drivers side. There's other minutia like the trigger guard but in the end it's nearly the same thing.

My SGL-21 vs a Chinese 56s spiker? I'd take the spiker. I'd take a Valmet and a few others over it too. Milled guns will out shoot stamped most of the time, whether it's a brand spanking new Saiga SGL patterened after the new AK-100 series or not. Most stamped guns have the same accuracy as each other. Weight is also a big factor, there's a few pounds difference between milled vs stamped.

In the end it comes down to rarity, looking cooler, and money. Some people confuse the three by adding the entire Tapco catalog to their AK when they really wanted an AR and end up spending just as much.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of Saiga versus what? AK47 Type I/II/III, AKM(IV), AK-74, AK-100?

Saiga is not a term Izhmash used to differentiate U.S. imports, they're also sold to Russian citizens under the same moniker. In Russia they have a chamber that marks spent casings to differentiate civilian vs. military AKs, some of these barrels are in Saigas that were imported here.

Parts differences between let's say an SGL-21(AK-100) and an AKM are muzzle brake, threaded FSB rather than threaded barrel with bayonet lug, 90 degree gas block with accessory, barrel profile, RSB, sight leaf(can be different graduations), trunnion, piston, bolt, carrier, and rear folding stock. The front trunnion features the most notable improvements of the removal of the bolt rotation being initiated by the bullet guide and the "rivet" instead of a machined bolt lug interface on the drivers side. There's other minutia like the trigger guard but in the end it's nearly the same thing.

My SGL-21 vs a Chinese 56s spiker? I'd take the spiker. I'd take a Valmet and a few others over it too. Milled guns will out shoot stamped most of the time, whether it's a brand spanking new Saiga SGL patterened after the new AK-100 series or not. Most stamped guns have the same accuracy as each other. Weight is also a big factor, there's a few pounds difference between milled vs stamped.

In the end it comes down to rarity, looking cooler, and money. Some people confuse the three by adding the entire Tapco catalog to their AK when they really wanted an AR and end up spending just as much.

Reason I said any AK is because the way he put it, the SAIGA he has, chambered in 7.62x39 is it, nothing available in this country is better then that. I told him even before I started this thread that I didn't think it was the Rolls Royce of Aks but only the Cadillac and he got really offended. Then we discussed my M70 AB2 and that was trash also. Im like seriously? I would rather have my Yugo then his Saiga, personal preference. I even took it apart for him and showed him how very similar the parts were to my Yugo. He's a good friend so its not like we are having a war over it, its just funny to see him get very defensive when I call it an AK47..lol. I made this thread for my knowledge and I appreciate everyone that responded.

F

fredkrueger

Saiga is a brand of guns. There is everything from a 7.62 39mm to .223. They also have a shotgun called the saiga 12. It is a semi automatic shotgun. I have one and it looks just like an ak for the most part. But chambered for 12 gauge. It operates mostly the same with a few differences. The Spetsnaz soldiers carry these and they are called saiga shotguns by them. But in general it is a very good gun and very fun to shoot.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally feel the Arsenal SLR series is a nicer rifle than the Saiga. Arsenal converts Saiga's as well (SGL-31 & 21), but in my personal experience, the SLR's (Bulgarian) are a better gun. The SLR's are the closest thing to a factory gun you are going to get. They are not shipped to this country in a sportanized version and then converted like the Saiga's. On that note, the Saiga is a damn fine AK and better than most of what is out there. Just not better than everything. It would be nice to compare his Saiga with my SLR and let other's decide.

Just realized this was an older thread...

Latest posts

Top Bottom