Salt mine in Hutchinson, KS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooper

Marksman
Reaction score
Wife and I went there several years ago. Well worth the trip down in the mine, and the tram ride was informative. If I went back I wouldn't bother with the tram ride, but I would indeed go back down the mine.

Then we went to Dodge City reenactment. That's a 2-hour tourist trap; enter and leave through the gift shop...

However, the Old Cowtown Museum in downtown Wichita is very much worth a visit. Outdoor mostly, houses moved on location, open to walk through. Probably 30 or more buildings.
We really enjoyed that visit.
When I was a kid in the 70's the Mainstreet in Dodge was pretty cool, there were several old west Acts, gunslingers, saloon dancers, etc. Over the years it dwindled to nothing. Just a place where the Old west used to be.
Now it is the Modern West, Feed Lots and Packing Plants, not much to look at, till it gets to the Grocery Store.
The area is still riddled with Crime though, that is exciting.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Did the mine yesterday afternoon, fairly interesting. The Yoder restaurant didn't disappoint whatsoever as usual. The extra tour back into the actual mining part where they went into more detail of the process and history was MUCH better than the rest of the normal tour. The displays and walk through tour part was "eh". The Civil Defense displays and fall out shelter history from the 50's and 60's was interesting. The massive size of it was interesting as well. 50a alone dedicated to storage. This was the highlight pic of the day though lol.

20241012_135229.jpg

Hooper

Marksman
Reaction score
Did the mine yesterday afternoon, fairly interesting. The Yoder restaurant didn't disappoint whatsoever as usual. The extra tour back into the actual mining part where they went into more detail of the process and history was MUCH better than the rest of the normal tour. The displays and walk through tour part was "eh". The Civil Defense displays and fall out shelter history from the 50's and 60's was interesting. The massive size of it was interesting as well. 50a alone dedicated to storage. This was the highlight pic of the day though lol.

View attachment 519259
Professional Plumber

MikePAC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My cousin that runs a print shop in Hutch stores his supplies in the mine because of the perfect humidity.
Hollywood stores film movies there including the wizard of oz. There was also a mushroom farm in the tunnel we went into with my cousin that tourists weren’t allowed in the late 80’s. I believe the government also has an area for storage that tourists aren’t allowed in as well. It’s been a long time since touring it, so all of that may have changed.
Small world Dennis. I’m from Hutch! You took my boys hunting with OP!

MikePAC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wifey is from Hutch. I lived there for a few years. Ditto on the Cosmosphere and the salt mines.
I installed the security and fire alarm in the Cosmosphere in the 90's Probably been upgraded by now though.
My Uncle was one of the engineers that got the SR71 to go inside the Cosmosphere.

View attachment 518822
The Yoder Carriage Crossing is great. We ate there a few months ago and it is cheap compared to fast food.

cosmo.org
View attachment 518820

View attachment 518821

View attachment 518824

Best coffee cup I have ever bought.

View attachment 518818

Make a day trip of it!
I liked you before learning about your wifey!
My wife is from Nickerson, and I grew up in Hutch. Worked at “Spaceworks” for Cosmosphere in late 80’s before college.(Salthawk Class of 1989) I tell everyone it’s worth the trip to see the mine and Cosmosphere. The SR-71 is still a fav. I used to fly home from TX in a Cessna 172. Got over airport one trip and that was sitting on the ramp. Nxt trip it was mounted at 30/30 bank and nose down but wrapped in blue protective wrap as they built the structure over and around aircraft. They towed that plane down 11th street from airport. Dad said biggest parade Hutch has ever had attended.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I liked you before learning about your wifey!
My wife is from Nickerson, and I grew up in Hutch. Worked at “Spaceworks” for Cosmosphere in late 80’s before college.(Salthawk Class of 1989) I tell everyone it’s worth the trip to see the mine and Cosmosphere. The SR-71 is still a fav. I used to fly home from TX in a Cessna 172. Got over airport one trip and that was sitting on the ramp. Nxt trip it was mounted at 30/30 bank and nose down but wrapped in blue protective wrap as they built the structure over and around aircraft. They towed that plane down 11th street from airport. Dad said biggest parade Hutch has ever had attended.
Is the city drinking water still so salty that water heaters have to be changed out every couple of years like back in the 80's and 90's? It's been that long since visiting there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom