Scattergun Tech TR870 ... round in chamber or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry an Remington 870 with round in chamber or not?

• trust my safety and always carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • don't trust safeties and never carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not the shottys?

Like I said, I shoot left handed and the combination of the cross bolt safety location paired with the Knoxx stock makes it harder to operate than a midget trying to unclasp a fat girls bra from the front.

Same reason how I'm quicker that way. ON THAT GUN. On a tang safety gun, it's the other way around.

Being a simpleton and a lefty, if a safety on a long gun is not naturally under my thumb, and doesn't stick to the rule that "forward is fire, back is safe" it can go to hell IMO. They suck. Whoever decides to put cross bolt safeties on long guns in 2010 is a goober.

If anything, you can convince me that switching back to a Mossberg with a tang safety and keeping it chamber loaded is better, but as far as that gun...operating that safety on that 870 left handed is not intuitive in the least for me, and I don't "trust" "left-right" safeties, as far as remembering which is safe and which is fire under stress. They are goofy, especially for a lefty. Forward should be fire on a long gun. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW,for the record,my shotgun is in my safe.My duty gun,Glock 17,or my CC gun(on days off),Glock 26,and my 200 lumens Surefire are my first response tools.
Actually all of my shotty's are in the safe.
No kids at home, but still, have go-to guns in different parts of the house, and shops.

BTW where did all the "rack the slide" to scare off all the bad persons go?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said, I shoot left handed and the combination of the cross bolt safety location paired with the Knoxx stock makes it harder to operate than a midget trying to unclasp a fat girls bra from the front.INMHO it doesn't matter if your right hand or left handed. Shotguns are offered in both options.

Same reason how I'm quicker that way. ON THAT GUN. On a tang safety gun, it's the other way around.

Being a simpleton and a lefty, if a safety on a long gun is not naturally under my thumb, and doesn't stick to the rule that "forward is fire, back is safe" it can go to hell IMO. They suck. Whoever decides to put cross bolt safeties on long guns in 2010 is a goober.

If anything, you can convince me that switching back to a Mossberg with a tang safety and keeping it chamber loaded is better, but as far as that gun...operating that safety on that 870 left handed is not intuitive in the least for me, and I don't "trust" "left-right" safeties, as far as remembering which is safe and which is fire under stress. They are goofy, especially for a lefty. Forward should be fire on a long gun. :D

I'm not argueing about any gun design.
Thats n issue between the gun owner and the manufacturer.

This disussion is about if "racking the slide" will stop an intruder.
Is this intruder under the influence, or just a full time criminal, intent on robbing/killing you?
Is this intruder a skilled pistolero? Or a junkie barely able to focus?

I'm courious about what our beloved LEO's can contribute. We don't have the Stats that y'all do.

I just read the first person reports in my NRA mags.

/

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not argueing about any gun design.
Thats n issue between the gun owner and the manufacturer.

This disussion is about if "racking the slide" will stop an intruder.

If the discussion is about the "slide noise" crowd, why are you talking to me?

Certainly the noise thing is goofy and won't stop an intruder, and like I said 3 times that's not the reason I keep my gun in that condition. I keep it that way because of the safety configuration and being a lefty. My only other option is chambered and safety off, and I don't like that...

This thread may push me over the edge of switching back to a Mossy as an HD gun. Though I'm confident with the 870 because I've been using it and practicing with it for 4 years in that condition, the safety has never been on since I have had it.

INMHO it doesn't matter if your right hand or left handed. Shotguns are offered in both options.

True, but when you've grown up shooting lefty in a righty world, you've shot enough right handed guns that left handed cross bolts get even more confusing. Forward and back is intuitive. "Left is fire on this gun, but it's right on that gun" and "I shot righty cross bolts for years, but now have a left cross bolt" is confusing as hell. Me and a cross bolts don't jive, no matter what. On a bench rest, fine. When I need to shoot something, no. Hence why I probably should go back to a Mossy, even though I'm confident simply not using the safety on my 870.

I really should keep these things to myself. :D Night-O.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that 1-2 seconds will get one killed. Last steel challenge I attended, 5 targets were taken down in 2.11 seconds.

Personally I don't ever want to kill another human being. Your life is forever changed.
The reasons above are secondary.
I live in the country, so calling the LEO is the first thing, but while waiting for them to arrive, its all on me. My wife will not arm herself.
I won't rack a slide, but with our outside lighting that is on at night along with the motion detectors that turn on additional lights, I've made sure all inside lights are not automatically turned on, so anybody lurking outside is in the light and cannot see inside.
When we lived in town 20 years ago we had motion detector lights on the house. I can't believe this has not been discussed as a deterrent to some prowler.

Totally agree, This theory about running invaders is crap. That may work for the neighborhood teens trying to grab your smokes off the outside table, but not for somebody that decided to kick in a door or climb in a window.
I know for a fact that a trigger pull is far more reliable and effective than a sound effect. Why would you leave yourself out for some other option to rear it's ugly head.

As for the lights? i have always been torn. I keep good lighting around my cameras field of view. Other than that I worry that I am providing good lighting for whoever it may be that's traversing my yard.

At some point I thought about wiring up photocells to both lights outside and inside with maybe an alarm of some kind. Thing is I would have to really get them calibrated so that I wasn't getting an alarm for every cat in the neighborhood.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Totally agree, This theory about running invaders is crap. That may work for the neighborhood teens trying to grab your smokes off the outside table, but not for somebody that decided to kick in a door or climb in a window.
I know for a fact that a trigger pull is far more reliable and effective than a sound effect. Why would you leave yourself out for some other option to rear it's ugly head.

As for the lights? i have always been torn. I keep good lighting around my cameras field of view. Other than that I worry that I am providing good lighting for whoever it may be that's traversing my yard.

At some point I thought about wiring up photocells to both lights outside and inside with maybe an alarm of some kind. Thing is I would have to really get them calibrated so that I wasn't getting an alarm for every cat in the neighborhood.
There are alarm systems that can alert one to what corner of the house the intruder is at.
Just sayin

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are alarm systems that can alert one to what corner of the house the intruder is at.
Just sayin

Yeah, I've heard. Our company doesn't offer them in the same way, but they said they could put standard motion sensors out there and the alarm would alert us as to which one was active.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ef... thanks for the suggestion... have taken off both front and rear sling mounts for now. since HD is main mission for this 870, finding out a single point sling really gets in the way.

had to do more gunsmithing right off the bat than I thought.
shell holder was presenting shell at wrong angles, causing failure to feed. so I swapped out parts from my other 870. sear return spring went sprong.... to parts unknown... after digging for 20 minutes, gave up....

looks like I'll be ordering a sear return spring and new style shell holder.

was thinking since this 870 was prepped by Scattergun Tech. only a few rounds fires since then and I would not have a lift a finger. really surprised I had to break down 870 to figure out failure to feed issues right off the bat.

anyways... TR870 is all back together working great!!!

ordered a 225 lumen LED replacement module from Deal Extreme for $11 shipped. module had a fairly recent Cree LED XPG ... there was two versions available. with or without all sorts of modes. I got the single mode version. looks like I'll have to lathe out insides of Surefire flashlight end to accept this conversion.

here's a pic of trigger assembly from my other 870 and offending shell holder from TR870

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_scattergun14.JPG

You know, if you plan on keeping it a one point sling and not using that sling mount, I'd just take it off.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cruiser ready is the way I carry a shotgun in the patrol car. Since it is always that way, all other shotguns are kept that way too. One system, always the same. Racking the action of an 870 while shouldering makes the first round hit time almost exactly the same whether chambered with safety on or crusier ready. Therefore, be consistent and use the safest option. For those with an Oklahoma SDA license, a long-gun may be carried in your vehicle magazine loaded but chamber empty! Practice cruiser ready and be consistent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom