Semi-Auto Battle Rifle... Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Fighting Rifle

• Stoner Variants- M4, AR-15, AR-10

Votes: 73 33.0%
  • Kalashnikov Variants-AK47, 74, Valmet, Saiga, VZ58

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • FN FAL

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • M1-A

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Steyr AUG

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • M1 Garand

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • HK G3

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mini-14

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • FN SCAR/ Bushmaster ACR

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Robinson XC R/ SIG 556

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the money the best (IMHO) is the vz58, so that gets my vote. High quality Czech battle rifle for well under a grand. Basically it's an improved, more accurate, and lighter weight AK47. It's an awesome platform.

If money is no object then give me a HK G36A2 or a HK 416. I'm also quite fond of the M1A/M14, it's definitely not as versatile though

I can't pick the Vz58, if for no other reason than I don't own one.

Yet.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had many of the rifles listed, and consider a MBR a 7.62x51mm--myself. I picked the FAL for all the reasons already mentioned so no use rehashing the info.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are getting to particular. If it's a rifle, which these all are, and if it's designed for war (aka battle) then it's a "Battle Rifle" in my book. 7.62x39mm is a "battle" proven "battle" round. It'll kill you just as easily as a 7.62x51mm will.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are getting to particular. If it's a rifle, which these all are, and if it's designed for war (aka battle) then it's a "Battle Rifle" in my book. 7.62x39mm is a "battle" proven "battle" round. It'll kill you just as easily as a 7.62x51mm will.

Yeah, we're a particular bunch. Historical definitions and nomenclature matter....just because the AK isn't traditionally defined as a battle rifle doesn't mean it won't kill you, it just means it isn't a battle rifle.

True, but if you use their designation, so is the FAL - at least to the Germans. The Germans did designate it as a "sturmgewehr" (Stg58).

True, but manufacturer/design designations or trademarks become meaningless after awhile...they don't indicate function or use. They are just symbols for the procurement bean counters...kinda like AR(malite)-15s being made by Colt.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think people are getting caught up in the term "battle rifle." By most strict definitions, the only real battle rifles on the poll are the M1A/M14, FN FAL, Garand, and G3.

I'm agreeing with this. the AR and AK and czech VZ58 are assault rifles in their original select fire form

seurto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
whether we are designating them as "battle rifles" or not, or it being an accurate term to be applied, I still stick with my selection and explained why..

Nomenclature doesnt mean squat when people are shooting at you with it, or when you need to depend on it for your life..

Could be a hi-point for all I care, projectiles hurt when they hit.. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom