If you could only have one rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPUD

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Marlin Camp 45 with folding stock and many 20 round mags and a 40 round drum in case it's needed. Select your optics. Perfect companion to government 45 pistol.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to say my 30-06 but after contemplating on what rifle to use to put down a horse i had to kill.
I will now say my savage 10SR 18" heavy barrel.
More accurate by a tick than my 30-06 and I have a dandy cast load for it and it has killed everything I needed it to, ridiculous reliable.

Now a bug out situation would be different.
I would take my bolt action .223.
I have mouse fart loads for it and lots of .223/5.56 shooters out there that I can take ammo from if I needed to.
.223 Ammo is lighter than 30-06 or .308.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked this question of Jacob Bynum (Rifles Only) and Frank Galli (Snipers Hide) and both of them said AR-10 .308 with a 3-18 power scope.
I understand the advantages of an AR. Primarily for me it would be the vast amount of interchangable parts to keep one running as opposed to the variety of sporting guns. But I've carried both all day on predator hunts walking miles across hills, creeks, gulches, ravines, fields, etc., etc. I've only carried a bolt action sporting arm on backcountry elk and antelope hunts.
Bolt action sporting rifle is king of comfort for these reasons: Weight, natural center balance point, low scope to barrel mount, smooth and rounded stock with no squared, sharp and snagging edges.
AR's are great for function BUT they are not comfortable on all day hike hunts. Snagging on back packs and clothing with clip, charging handle, high scope to barrel relation mount and pistol grip handle protrusions from HELL. Plus poor balance points and location choices to hold comfortably single handed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom