Semi-Auto Battle Rifle... Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Fighting Rifle

• Stoner Variants- M4, AR-15, AR-10

Votes: 73 33.0%
  • Kalashnikov Variants-AK47, 74, Valmet, Saiga, VZ58

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • FN FAL

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • M1-A

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Steyr AUG

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • M1 Garand

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • HK G3

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mini-14

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • FN SCAR/ Bushmaster ACR

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Robinson XC R/ SIG 556

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I went with the FAL. It is my favorite on the list. I have nothing against either the M1 Garand or the M14 (I enjoy both of them), but there is something to be said about the FAL's gas operating system. Not to mention it is one of the most addicting rifle types to collect.

seurto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with the FAL (as MY personal choice, results may vary).. accurate enough to get the job done.. IMO

can be lighter and "more readily" modded than the garand and has been utilized for many years around the world..
The stoner variants are lighter and more accurate, but, I feel thier maintenance regiment is a drawback along with thier fickleness with steel cased ammo..
the AK's are durable no doubt, but not terribly accurate past 100yds (for the average shooter)

The rest of the options havent had time and utilization test to draw any definitive comparisons, although, I have a sig556 and enjoy it greatly..
I have an FAL and a couple of AR's as well..

I've entertained the idea of getting a SCAR-H, but just cant get past the price, lack of provenability (due to its newness), and proprietary company policies..
I like to have spares for everything.. (matching sets)

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the money the best (IMHO) is the vz58, so that gets my vote. High quality Czech battle rifle for well under a grand. Basically it's an improved, more accurate, and lighter weight AK47. It's an awesome platform.

If money is no object then give me a HK G36A2 or a HK 416. I'm also quite fond of the M1A/M14, it's definitely not as versatile though

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think people are getting caught up in the term "battle rifle." By most strict definitions, the only real battle rifles on the poll are the M1A/M14, FN FAL, Garand, and G3.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think people are getting caught up in the term "battle rifle." By most strict definitions, the only real battle rifles on the poll are the M1A/M14, FN FAL, Garand, and G3.

And of those choices I picked the FAL. It has the longest service history, is the most prolific and has the most widespread use, and has a great reputation for reliability. There's not much you can't do with the FAL.

For everything else, I prefer an direct impingment AR variant.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And of those choices I picked the FAL. It has the longest service history, is the most prolific and has the most widespread use, and has a great reputation for reliability. There's not much you can't do with the FAL.

And you can mod and build the FAL yourself. Plenty of surplus parts and mags also.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

And you can mod and build the FAL yourself. Plenty of surplus parts and mags also.

Which is exactly what I did! Imbel parts kit on an Imbel gear logo receiver, with Penguin furniture and a few other 922r compliant parts. Turned out very nice!

Latest posts

Top Bottom