Semi-Auto Battle Rifle... Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Fighting Rifle

• Stoner Variants- M4, AR-15, AR-10

Votes: 73 33.0%
  • Kalashnikov Variants-AK47, 74, Valmet, Saiga, VZ58

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • FN FAL

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • M1-A

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Steyr AUG

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • M1 Garand

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • HK G3

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mini-14

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • FN SCAR/ Bushmaster ACR

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Robinson XC R/ SIG 556

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
70 to 90 million AKs have been manufactured since 1947. With that many rifles produced and with the AK participating in every conceivable theater of war for the past 65 years I'd guess the AK has probably been the instrument of death for more souls than any other single weapon in history.

Ya I had read 100 million, I was just giving some people something to think about.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd say the the k98. the Germans killed a lot of folks with it. Millions of Russian, Polish, Yugos, French, etc. were killed. A large potion of those would have been from the k98. Just informed speculation on my part based off of WW2 casualty data charts. I'm pretty sure that there hasn't ever been an actual study on the subject.

I'd say that the AK47 would be right there with it, probably #2. I think that the Japanese WW2 rifle would be above the Garand by a pretty good sized margin.

I'd have to go with Paul Mausers action too. From the invasion of Cuba through the Boer wars up to the end of WWII Mauser rifles have always been in play. I'll bet the numbers killed may be a little higher for the Mauser than the AK.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah but any chump dictator can give millions of troops any old rifle and rack up a huge kill count on unarmed civilians or the French.

A more pertinent question would be which rifle has killed more enemy soldiers "per capita," or which one has the highest kill per rounds fired ratio.

I personally just go with the rifle that I find it easiest to make good hits at all distances from field positions with... which would be the M1A. There is some cerain quality that some rifles have that I don't know what to call other than "shootability"... some rifles just feel so RIGHT. This might boil down to personal preference. Anyway, whatever it is, the M1 and M1A certainly have it.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah but any chump dictator can give millions of troops any old rifle and rack up a huge kill count on unarmed civilians or the French.

A more pertinent question would be which rifle has killed more enemy soldiers "per capita," or which one has the highest kill per rounds fired ratio.

I personally just go with the rifle that I find it easiest to make good hits at all distances from field positions with... which would be the M1A. There is some cerain quality that some rifles have that I don't know what to call other than "shootability"... some rifles just feel so RIGHT. This might boil down to personal preference. Anyway, whatever it is, the M1 and M1A certainly have it.

I believe the Mauser is still respected as an accurate and dependable rifle platform; the M14 has killed a fraction of the enemy combatants as the K98. The "unarmed civilians or the French" comment is disingenuous; ask the British Expeditionary Forces, or count the graves in Russia. If not for poor decisions and poor weather, Moscow would be in the heart of "Lebensraum". I guess we could say the same for the M16/M4; racking up kills on goat herders and villagers can be done by any old rogue government. But that comment would be just as wrong.

"Feeling right" is personal preference. That's about the biggest advantage to me for the M14/M1A; it feels like every other rifle or shotgun I've shouldered from childhood. It's a great rifle, but comparing it to the K98 is apples and oranges. Pretty big leap in technology over time.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah,that's correct but he did develop a M2 that fired semi that steelehorse was talking about.

Yep, multiple kills with that setup, the most famous being the boy on the bicycle with all the AKs. Extremely accurate and obviously deadly. In fact, with his custom M2 sniper, he held the record for the longest combat kill until 2002. :mosh:

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep, multiple kills with that setup, the most famous being the boy on the bicycle with all the AKs. Extremely accurate and obviously deadly. In fact, with his custom M2 sniper, he held the record for the longest combat kill until 2002. :mosh:

He was credited with 90+ comfirmed kills,most with the Model 70.

Latest posts

Top Bottom