Senate Deal Reached on Background Checks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some are saying that the republicans made a strategic choice. By letting it go to a vote, a number of democrats from rural states will be forced to vote yes for gun control and lose their seats in upcoming elections.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep...

We are obviously having a debate on this. I think having a debate on this is important,” Cruz said. “The question is not whether we have a debate, because that’s what we’re doing right now, the question is whether it should be a 50-vote threshold or 60-vote threshold.”

The Texas Senator went on to say that any legislation that has the potential to infringe on the Bill of Rights should have a 60 vote threshold. “And that’s what I and a number of other senators are asking for is a 60-vote threshold and we’re insisting upon that,” he added.

Regarding the shooting in Newtown, Cruz accused the Obama administration of “playing on emotions” and “trying to take advantage” of the horrific tragedy. He added that gun control advocates are not focused on “actual policies that will stop violent crime.”

“I think the President has shown that he is willing to demagogue an issue. And I think it is ultimately going to backfire politically,” Cruz explained. “In fact, in my view, as a result of their onslaught on the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, I think there’s going to be a very significant political consequence in 2014.”

“I think the stage is set for Republicans to take control of the United States Senate because of this fight right now,” he added.

video of Ted's Comments

[EDIT]

Here is the list of Republican Ayes:

Alexander (R-TN)
Ayotte (R-NH)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Collins (R-ME)

Corker (R-TN)
Flake (R-AZ)
Graham (R-SC)
Heller (R-NV)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Isakson (R-GA)

Kirk (R-IL)
McCain (R-AZ)
Toomey (R-PA)
Wicker (R-MS)

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some are saying that the republicans made a strategic choice. By letting it go to a vote, a number of democrats from rural states will be forced to vote yes for gun control and lose their seats in upcoming elections.

Yup. That's my take too. Force the Democrats and RINOs to put their name on a voting record to be used against them later....all the while using the House as the firewall. Nothing they pass in the Senate will make it through the House.

It also takes away the Dems ability to stomp their feet about the Republicans in the Senate being obstructionists.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm not real confident in our firewall. I think the house probably holds, but there are no guarantees in politics. Politicians switch sides more often than professional wrestlers. It's time to put the pressure on your representatives and the rally cry should be "Remember 1994."

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm not real confident in our firewall. I think the house probably holds, but there are no guarantees in politics. Politicians switch sides more often than professional wrestlers. It's time to put the pressure on your representatives and the rally cry should be "Remember 1994."

Agreed.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

For those of us wearing our tinfoil fashion statements, I'd say that one additional tragedy before either vote would be all she wrote for those who value the 2A. That bill will become a Christmas tree that takes us all to H*** with the removal of rights and setups for confiscation. Here's hoping I'm wrong on all counts...

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There must be some strategery going on here, look at the list of Republican Ayes. Jeff Flake and John McCain? You would normally see Flake shoulder to shoulder with Rand Paul. Look for the double-reverse flea-flicker play...

Latest posts

Top Bottom