shooting over feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I quit feeding because it was a disappointment I was expecting it to be like shooting fish in a barrel like some folks think.When it is a crisp 32degrees in SE OK it is usually about 15 degrees in NW OK with a 30mph wind forget about being one with nature you can't even feel your own arms and legs.Your inner reflection of yourself is usually WTF am I doing here

I have been staying out of this one because I can see both sides. I hunt over feed quite often mainly due to lack hunting land and lack of time to "hunt". Feeders are very hit and miss where I am. It doesn't insure a kill every time you go or even every season.

Fishn&huntn I know what you mean I killed a fairly nice 10 last december the outside temp was in the mid 20s. Whole time I was shivering thinking how stupid I was until a late season bachelor group stepped into the food plot and I ended up with 4 bucks within 4-18 yards. I warmed right up then.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't take it as a flame, but filling my tags and my freezer is what i'm wanting to do. don't get me wrong, I love spending time in the woods, but getting a deer is my main goal. I hang out in the woods any other time of the year if that is my only goal, and i do when i hunt for antlers, but only have a short time to shoot a deer.

And that is fine, like I said I dont have a problem with people shooting deer at feeders, if that is what they want to do, I do not call that hunting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And that is fine, like I said I dont have a problem with people shooting deer at feeders, if that is what they want to do, I do not call that hunting.

But shooting a deer under a white oak acorn tree that is dropping acorns would be ok?

Would you call that hunting? Or would you call that off limits as well for those that may have one oak tree on their small property, and thats all they have to hunt? Thats a feeder.

How about somebody that has no pristine timber with pristine hunting areas on vast areas where they can wander for days in search of the elusive buck or doe? If they don't have that available they are not hunters?

How about somebody that hunts the old abandoned family homestead of 40-160 acres, that has a pear or apple tree on the property that the deer come to? Should that be off limits as thats like a feeder too?

For that matter if your hunting with anything but a rock or a sharpened stick can you really be considered a hunter?

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But shooting a deer under a white oak acorn tree that is dropping acorns would be ok?

Would you call that hunting? Or would you call that off limits as well for those that may have one oak tree on their small property, and thats all they have to hunt? Thats a feeder.

How about somebody that has no pristine timber with pristine hunting areas on vast areas where they can wander for days in search of the elusive buck or doe? If they don't have that available they are not hunters?

How about somebody that hunts the old abandoned family homestead of 40-160 acres, that has a pear or apple tree on the property that the deer come to? Should that be off limits as thats like a feeder too?

For that matter if your hunting with anything but a rock or a sharpened stick can you really be considered a hunter?

Sheesh boy.....

First off, that oak tree is a natural element found in the deer habitat, oak flats are common, as well as other forms of vegetation that deer feed on, a feeder on a timer that you set to go off at pre determined times and load with feed is not a natural element in the deers habitat.

So back off the attitude, please show me where I have went off on anyone for shooting deer at a feeder? You cant, I stated my view, that I do not call that hunting, I call it shooting deer at a feeder, and if that is what you are into fine, whatever, knock yourself out, but I still will not call that hunting, that is simply filling a tag.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with 1shot... hunting is taking the time to scout out trails, figure out where the bedding areas are, what trails deer take going to feeding areas, etc, etc.

all that takes time ... countless trips over seasons. again not everyone has the luxury of the time and access to pristine lands.

I'm privileged to hunt on 100+ acres of indian lands in Pawhuska, untouched since before statehood. land is surrounded by 10's of thousands of acres of connected forest. have seen a pack of wolves hunting in the moonlight there.

very wild and primitive indian lands in Pawhuska!~

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with 1shot... hunting is taking the time to scout out trails, figure out where the bedding areas are, what trails deer take going to feeding areas, etc, etc.

I have done the same thing, but i have put out corn in tthe tracks. i have done everything that you have done pluse add a little corn. so you say that is not hunting? that is fine with me.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

all that takes time ... countless trips over seasons. again not everyone has the luxury of the time and access to pristine lands.

I'm privileged to hunt on 100+ acres of indian lands in Pawhuska, untouched since before statehood. land is surrounded by 10's of thousands of acres of connected forest. have seen a pack of wolves hunting in the moonlight there.

very wild and primitive indian lands in Pawhuska!~
How many quality bucks have you killed there?

wiley_coyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use feeders to pull deer thru the woods past me. I don't hunt over feeders, I hunt in between. I also like to use game cams by the feeders to see whats coming in and get an idea as to which ones would be best to cull. It gives you a good idea as to how many are on the area you hunt and the quality. I also like my venison corn fed and fat ;) Of course once the shooting starts it's all subject to change as far as the deer coming to feeders. I also do a lot of scouting once or twice a week looking for tracks, patterns, beds, scrapes, rubs, droppings and so forth just like any other hunter. I used to think of myself as a hunter but since I use feeders maybe I'm not after all these years. I'm now somewhat perplexed as to what I actually am, a hunter or just the murderer of corn fed deer. And what about food plots? Do they count as feeders also even if the seeds are growing naturaly?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
of course that's hunting... which to me is taking your time on the land, more that anything else.

loads of folks choose to plant feed plots... that person is taking the time to prep the land to attract deer.... they are changing the habitat... which helps the deer survive the winter.

just because my idea of hunting is different from yours, doesn't make my style better or worst than yours.

just like I'm not a trophy hunter.... I have no problems taking does... makes for mighty fine eating!

I have done the same thing, but i have put out corn in tthe tracks. i have done everything that you have done pluse add a little corn. so you say that is not hunting? that is fine with me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom