shooting over feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is very true. If I had a place with lots of acorns, and so on, I would be in heaven:D

The place where we go Squirrel Hunting is like that, Acorns Galore, it's weird though that there are so many acorns near a pecan orchard, but yesterday when we were out looking for critters, it kind of amazed me how many deer are out on that little 160 acre spread, we followed a creek bed that just happened to have fresh tracks and came across a buck that looked like he could eat us, if the guys that have the land leased for Deer Season now ever give it up, I'll be the first to snatch it up, but they've had the place leased for the past 30yrs now.

okgr8outdrs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I never hunted near feeders, mostly because the only place I have ever had to hunt was public land, and feeders are not allowed on public land even if I wanted to.

I agree with the notion that using feeders to attract deer is not true hunting, but as it is legal, what someone does on their own land is their business.

I have struggled for a while with how commercial the sport of hunting has become. Feeders, trail cams, scentblocker clothes, expensive tree stands, ATV's and all kinds of other gadgets as well as ranches where you can pay someone to to let you shoot an animal. It just doesn't have the same connection with our hunting heritage that it used to.

I just find it hard to grasp shelling out $ for expensive clothes that let you ignore the wind, feeders and feed, trail cams, four wheelers and in the case of someone I know a travel trailer and a bigger truck to pull it with to the land he has leased to hunt on. It would take bagging his limit every year for the rest of his life to break even on his investment, and in the process he has lost touch with what drew him to love hunting in the first place.

First NASCAR, now hunting, what next?

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I never hunted near feeders, mostly because the only place I have ever had to hunt was public land, and feeders are not allowed on public land even if I wanted to.

I agree with the notion that using feeders to attract deer is not true hunting, but as it is legal, what someone does on their own land is their business.

I have struggled for a while with how commercial the sport of hunting has become. Feeders, trail cams, scentblocker clothes, expensive tree stands, ATV's and all kinds of other gadgets as well as ranches where you can pay someone to to let you shoot an animal. It just doesn't have the same connection with our hunting heritage that it used to.

I just find it hard to grasp shelling out $ for expensive clothes that let you ignore the wind, feeders and feed, trail cams, four wheelers and in the case of someone I know a travel trailer and a bigger truck to pull it with to the land he has leased to hunt on. It would take bagging his limit every year for the rest of his life to break even on his investment, and in the process he has lost touch with what drew him to love hunting in the first place.

Amen, I don't even stand hunt, sure I don't get my bag limit every year, but I have a hell of a time, I did invest in some nice camo, but only because it's the MOST COMFORTABLE, clothing I have ever worn in my life, if I could wear it everyday and not look like a psycho. but yeah I'm all for the traditional hunting, forget all the gizmos and gadgets give me a gun and some land and I'll kill something worth eating.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

These are my feelings exactly. Taking meat from the earth is a sacred activity. Now that I'm an old man I hate to see it reduced to a "sport".

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you all think that its not hunting, thats cool with me.

BUT, you do realize that by your logic, hunting with anything other than a long bow or a spear is not real hunting. if you can shoot it from more than 20 yards, its not real hunting i guess. :anyone:

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you all think that its not hunting, thats cool with me.

BUT, you do realize that by your logic, hunting with anything other than a long bow or a spear is not real hunting. if you can shoot it from more than 20 yards, its not real hunting i guess. :anyone:

I don't think anybody is knocking it, there's just different styles of hunting, everyone has their own opinion of what's the right way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom