shooting over feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you all think that its not hunting, thats cool with me.

BUT, you do realize that by your logic, hunting with anything other than a long bow or a spear is not real hunting. if you can shoot it from more than 20 yards, its not real hunting i guess. :anyone:

In a way you have a point.

Any one can shoot a deer with a rifle and the modern muzzle loaders are just about equal in ways to a center fire rifle. Really not much of a challenge.

Now bow hunting is where it is, If you have took a deer with a bow, you have done something that not everyone can claim to have done.

Bow hunting is personal and up close, my favorite way to hunt.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a way you have a point.

Now bow hunting is where it is, If you have took a deer with a bow, you have done something that not everyone can claim to have done.

Bow hunting is personal and up close, my favorite way to hunt.

What bow do you hunt with? A self bow with cane arrows sinew string, and a napped flint point?

Maybe a laminated re curve?

An open bow compound without sights, release, or anything but fingers, bow, and an arrow.

Fully equipped compound bow with peep sights, release, stabilizer, Whisker biskits, carbon or aluminum arrows?

For that matter do you use a steel broad head?

When does "true hunting" in your opinion start, and "filling a tag" start.
As I stated in my first post, I don't hunt over feeders either, but use them to pull deer into my area, just as others use oak trees, and abandoned farms with food sources, to get pics, and determine what I need to hunt for.

I also miss the time when I could knock on a door and get permission to hunt the pristine lands, but now its all about who has the most $ to lease the pristine land. Sux, but thats the way it goes.

I hunt now with a crossbow. I have to as a disability as my bicep tendon was ripped away from the bone. The crossbow has been a major point of argument in lots of states as being "too modern". My crossbow is the same design developed 2000 years ago. Guess I'm primitive hunting now.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What bow do you hunt with? A self bow with cane arrows sinew string, and a napped flint point?

Maybe a laminated re curve?

An open bow compound without sights, release, or anything but fingers, bow, and an arrow.

Fully equipped compound bow with peep sights, release, stabilizer, Whisker biskits, carbon or aluminum arrows?

For that matter do you use a steel broad head?

When does "true hunting" in your opinion start, and "filling a tag" start.
As I stated in my first post, I don't hunt over feeders either, but use them to pull deer into my area, just as others use oak trees, and abandoned farms with food sources, to get pics, and determine what I need to hunt for.

I also miss the time when I could knock on a door and get permission to hunt the pristine lands, but now its all about who has the most $ to lease the pristine land. Sux, but thats the way it goes.

I hunt now with a crossbow. I have to as a disability as my bicep tendon was ripped away from the bone. The crossbow has been a major point of argument in lots of states as being "too modern". My crossbow is the same design developed 2000 years ago. Guess I'm primitive hunting now.

Fact, I have not posted the words "true hunting" only that I do not consider shooting deer while at feeders hunting, I have also made it clear that if that is what YOU want to do, have at it, only IMO that is not hunting it is filling a tag, of which nothing is wrong with that in itself, so get your nose un bent.

I have in fact made my own bow at one time as well as the arrows, I freely admit the bow did not turn out as well as it should have, but I did make a bow and it was a interesting novelty.
I have bow hunted with recurves as well as compounds, I can shoot a bow better instinctive that with pin sights, still have not figured that one out, neither could the late Ed Wheeler who set up many bows for me.

Hunting is a sport that can only be perfected by the pursuit of wild game, not by going out and setting up a man made device with a timer that you fill with feed and train the deer to come to at pre determined times of the day. If that is what you are into, hey knock yourself out, the state of OK says it is ok to do, and it will in most cases get you a filled tag, where as I have left the woods with alot of unfilled tags.
It is not allways about filling that tag, a few people have experienced what I am talking about, hopefully a few more pick up on it.

As for food plots, on my old place I hunted we had one, we planted a couple acres the rule was, no deer could be shot while on the food plot or in a area near the food plot. No one broke that rule, we all agreed to it, the food plot was there to help supplement the deers winter diet and gave us the chance to observe and just kick back watch them.

IronMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really dont understand why you guys keep bustin 1shott's chops over his idea of hunting. From what I have read he is not downing anyone for hunting over or near feeders he is just stating his opinion. I for one agree with him. I love to hunt in his sense of the term. But that being said I havent been able to hunt in years. This year I am going with a long time friend to hunt on his family property. They have feeders setup and we will be hunting near them. I cant walk the woods anymore due to back injuries. I dont have the time or opportunity to spend in the woods "hunting" deer. I hope to fill my tags this year. I will be just as happy hunting over feeders as I would be hunting pristine lands.

Good luck to all who hunt this season. I hope you fill your tags,if not then just enjoy being outdoors.

Rex

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really dont understand why you guys keep bustin 1shott's chops over his idea of hunting. From what I have read he is not downing anyone for hunting over or near feeders he is just stating his opinion. I for one agree with him. I love to hunt in his sense of the term. But that being said I havent been able to hunt in years. This year I am going with a long time friend to hunt on his family property. They have feeders setup and we will be hunting near them. I cant walk the woods anymore due to back injuries. I dont have the time or opportunity to spend in the woods "hunting" deer. I hope to fill my tags this year. I will be just as happy hunting over feeders as I would be hunting pristine lands.

Good luck to all who hunt this season. I hope you fill your tags,if not then just enjoy being outdoors.

Rex

not just my back, but this is me last year. I really don't want to walk around more than i have to. I am still using a regular compound bow, but not one of the new ones, its from the 70's, and my spot is right not too far from the road, cause i'm still not walking right. lol
ai111.photobucket.com_albums_n140_reagorfu_IMG_0818.jpg

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think all legal means of taking game qualify as hunting. I don't hunt with anything but center-fire rifles these days and a lot of people don't consider that hunting.
I love archery equipment, but I can't devote the practice time it takes to keep my hand up any more. Archery is a skill like any other, and you loose it without practice. I've gotta have a rifle. I'm more proficient with firearms, and I owe that much to the deer.
I still respect and even envy archery guys a little.
And like I said before, I can't criticize anyone for feeding.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just don't care for an elitist attitude from anybody on anything. People who want to rip somebody else for using an in line, which by the way, was in use before the side lock, or primitive bow hunters that curse compound bow users, so on and so on. All it does is cause discontent among the very people that should be teaming together to advance the outdoor life. God knows there are enough deer around now, that in some areas(mine) it almost becomes a depredation issue. I lost over 20 acres of milo four years ago. By the time it had ripened enough to harvest, there was almost none left.

By all means, if one wants to wander thru the woods, how could anyone argue about that?

If someone has no woods, just CRP land to hunt on with some buckbrush for deer cover, how could anybody argue that what ever means that hunter has to draw deer to them is not the right thing to do?

I've never have and never will criticize anybody for getting out in the field, and doing their best to do what they love to do, and maybe get to bring home some hi protein venison for their family.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just don't care for an elitist attitude from anybody on anything. People who want to rip somebody else for using an in line, which by the way, was in use before the side lock, or primitive bow hunters that curse compound bow users, so on and so on. All it does is cause discontent among the very people that should be teaming together to advance the outdoor life. God knows there are enough deer around now, that in some areas(mine) it almost becomes a depredation issue. I lost over 20 acres of milo four years ago. By the time it had ripened enough to harvest, there was almost none left.

By all means, if one wants to wander thru the woods, how could anyone argue about that?

If someone has no woods, just CRP land to hunt on with some buckbrush for deer cover, how could anybody argue that what ever means that hunter has to draw deer to them is not the right thing to do?

I've never have and never will criticize anybody for getting out in the field, and doing their best to do what they love to do, and maybe get to bring home some hi protein venison for their family.

:clap3: a big +1 on this.

I think people are having a hard time with the "that ain't hunting" statement. It may not be your style or choice of game pursuit but why look down your nose at it. To each his own. I know people that buy animals and hunt a high fence..to me that isn't appealing and I won't do it but I am not gonna down them about it, or at least I will try really hard not to.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Part of what makes me sad about hunting these days is the stuff that okgr8outdrs mentioned above, all the commercial aspects.
I go into WalMart and see a video at the sporting goods counter of all the big bucks out there. I love watching video of deer, and they make me wanna buy all sorts of things I never knew I needed.
I hope that some raggedy kid in work boots can still shoot a deer in this world with .303 British.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Part of what makes me sad about hunting these days is the stuff that okgr8outdrs mentioned above, all the commercial aspects.
I go into WalMart and see a video at the sporting goods counter of all the big bucks out there. I love watching video of deer, and they make me wanna buy all sorts of things I never knew I needed.
I hope that some raggedy kid in work boots can still shoot a deer in this world with .303 British.

hahaha, that's me with an arisaka, not an enfield.

Latest posts

Top Bottom