Short 1911's, under 5"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard some trainers and youTubers say the 3" & 4" 1911's won't run, esp during a training class, 1000 plus rounds a day...
Any feedback on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They may not hold up to 1000 rds a day but they will run. I have a S&W Pro Series that runs great. Its fun to shoot at the range and is a great ccw gun.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanna know who shoots 1000 rounds of full power .45ACP a day in 7 and 8 round magazines? And can still move their hands the next day?

Jus'sayin'.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big name training school out west, cannot remember his name, told his students that due to the high number of 3" 1911 that cannot complete his two day class, please do not bring 3" 1911s. I don't know how many rounds it took before they started having problems.

I do see a lot of 1911 jamming. Why else are there a third party companies that make magazines to solve the problem of 1911 FTF. There has to be a need.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanna know who shoots 1000 rounds of full power .45ACP a day in 7 and 8 round magazines? And can still move their hands the next day?

Jus'sayin'.

Dunno that I've seen 1000 but I saw every bit of 700-800 in one of Marshal Luton's Classes.

To answer the OP's question, the window of reliability narrows when it comes to smaller 1911s. They can be made to run like clocks, but a LOT of manufacturers cut corners or use proprietary BS. Most "commander" sized 1911s are fine, however the 3" guns can be VERY tricky from my experience and that window I just mentioned is very small.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the way they look. Really appealing and all, just wonder if they're worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you pick a good one they're one of the best platforms out there IMO. I don't doubt the class comment about short 1911s. If you are shooting a micro anything in .45, you're gonna get tired at the end of a rigorous pistol class. Bet you get an amount of limpwristing and the pistol will be blamed I'm sure.

The 1911 design is just as reliable as any glock that's why it made through 6000 round trials and several wars/conflicts and is still used today. However, now you have 892301309 different companies making one, and many like to tweak the design and that creates variables. The companies that have stayed the most true to the original design in terms of specs are typically the most successful in reliability. I will say that a majority of 1911s ship with crap mags, dunno why they do this but if someone goes out and buys quality mags from the get go, the internet lore of 1911 reliability would be significantly less IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom