Short 1911's, under 5"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not odd at all...

The small end of the spring slips over a small ledge on the guide rod to keep it in place so it has a smaller diameter. If you reverse it the end of the small coil will bind up on the guide rod and impair the slide movement to the rear, especially if you have a full length guide rod. It won't let it compress in recoil properly.

BJG

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One end is flat and the other pointed. A guy at S&W told me to flip it and it worked. I honestly don't understand why it matters one way or the other but it makes a ton of difference.

The diameter of the coil (not just the wire) effects the spring rate (if it's tapered like what it sounds like you're describing) and really makes the spring rate variable. Each end doesn't compress the same amount during travel, which means the overall spring rate at specific points in time can very depending on which end the taper is located because the active coils can shift across the taper.

I'm not familiar with 1911's, but I'm shopping, which is why I asked.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The diameter of the coil (not just the wire) effects the spring rate (if it's tapered like what it sounds like you're describing) and really makes the spring rate variable. Each end doesn't compress the same amount during travel, which means the overall spring rate at specific points in time can very depending on which end the taper is located because the active coils can shift across the taper.

I'm not familiar with 1911's, but I'm shopping, which is why I asked.
That sounds reasonable to me, ill go with that.
You should check one out. They're a bit pricey but really nice guns. I was shocked to find how accurate mine is.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Colt Officers has never had a failure. You can even limpwrist it and it will shoot. But it was well broken in long before I got it. Oh, its a 3.5" though.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While it's true in the early days of compact 1911's reliability was a huge issue but we are long past that point and people still repeat that stuff as if it's fact today just like a dozen other gun "facts" we've all heard and rolled our eyes to . There are many quality compact 1911's that run as well as a full size. In my case, it's my STI Elektra which runs like a champ. I've been shooting this gun for two years now and haven't had a single malfunction. It's extremely light, crazy accurate and perfectly reliable.

The instructor who asks people not to bring compact 1911's is Rob Pincus iirc and he obviously has personal issues with these guns because despite his rants to the contrary there a legions of compact shooters who are doing just fine with them. That said if you think you're going to get that kind of performance from a Brazilian or Guatemalan made $400 compact 1911 you will very likely end up with a sad face.

filobeto

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mitch...
I'm not going to get into a long winded discussion on he different platforms. Suffice it to say that in "general,"the longer the spring the more reliable the 1911. Also, when it comes to the various reincarnations of the original platform it depends on who is manufacturing them, and with customs whom is assembling, building, tweaking, etc. The 1911 probably has been "Hot Rodded" more than any other pistol in the last 60 years and changed by more "bean" counters at factories than any other platform, and because of the plethora of parts and the forgiving nature of the original platform has more individuals who fancy themselves as 1911'smiths than you could possibly count. If I had to give a 1911 user a tip for reliability it would be this...size your cartridges and taper crimp them to .468" to .470" and check your headspace in your chamber, and reream your chamber with a finish reaming tool. I would size your cartridges whether it is a reload OR a factory load and the pistol should run all day long or until it is so hot you can't hang on to it. YMMV
Barry

I agree and disagree with the Dr. I believe in correcting the chamber and sizing the cartridges will help greatly. This would not be a starting point in my opinion. Ken Hallock lived in Midwest City and I believe he built the most reliable 1911s I have ever shot. I always start with his tune up package. Magazine, extractor, ramp, lugs and the slide stop. There are so many things that can affect a pistol and that is just my starting point. As far a 1000 rds a day, that is a lot. My avatar is a colt series 70 gold cup 45 wadcutter built by James Clark Sr. As far as bullseye pistols goes it is as good as it gets. I know if I tried to shoot 1000 rds for 2 days without a cleaning I would have issues. The lead build up in the chamber from the wadcutter bullets would cause failures alone. Lastly the Officer models do not run as well as Commander or full size pistols, but as Dr. Greyson said they can.

brownbronco78

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a ati titan officers with 3 inch barrel got it as kind of a project. the gun is great the factory mag was crap would not feed fmj at all polished feed ramp kind of helped but the wilson combat mag was the trick it will not fail now fmj hp I have also put in a kimber recoil spring and a +power firing pin spring from wilson also. gun is great tho just as reliable as my fullsize 1911s

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom