Short 1911's, under 5"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got around 1500 rounds through a Kimber Ultra Carry that I've carried for about 4 years. The only malfunction I've ever had was one shot, weak hand that I limp wristed. I picked one brand of defensive ammo that worked well and have stuck with it. I've seen lots of people poo-poo the short 1911's, but I've had good luck with mine. I alternate it with an XDS 45 that shoots about the same.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think it was Rob Pincus who said that if you ran a 3" 1911 in his class with no malfunctions he would pay for your class and your ammo.

I dislike the 3 inch guns, and the more I learn about the 1911 as a whole, the more I distrust them (3 inch 1911s). Jon Hodoway speaking to the reliability of a 1911, and about the 3 inch guns agreed with the idea that 3 inch 1911s have inherent problems, I don't think Nighthawk Custom even offers a 3 inch guns for that reason. Hodoway made a good point though, 1911s, especially high end ones, may have a problem running after hundreds and hundreds of rounds with no cleaning, but I only carry 3 mags when I carry my 1911. I don't see it failing after 24 rounds and no cleaning, so it should make it through any self defense use I ever have for it.

Last edited:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are two parts to this podcast, but are a good way to quickly learn about the 1911.
http://www.gunfightercast.com/wordpress/2013/07/24/gc-089-scott-ballard-on-the-1911-part-one/

My favorite quote from Scott Ballard in the podcast "The 1911 can be a biker chick in a gunfight, but you gotta treat her like a prom queen to get her there"
1911s aren't for everyone, if you don't want to learn about the gun, and put some effort into maintaining it, get a Glock or other polymer gun.
For the record, I carry a Glock 30 most days, and a Colt Commander 1911 on occasion.

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mitch...
I'm not going to get into a long winded discussion on he different platforms. Suffice it to say that in "general,"the longer the spring the more reliable the 1911. Also, when it comes to the various reincarnations of the original platform it depends on who is manufacturing them, and with customs whom is assembling, building, tweaking, etc. The 1911 probably has been "Hot Rodded" more than any other pistol in the last 60 years and changed by more "bean" counters at factories than any other platform, and because of the plethora of parts and the forgiving nature of the original platform has more individuals who fancy themselves as 1911'smiths than you could possibly count. If I had to give a 1911 user a tip for reliability it would be this...size your cartridges and taper crimp them to .468" to .470" and check your headspace in your chamber, and reream your chamber with a finish reaming tool. I would size your cartridges whether it is a reload OR a factory load and the pistol should run all day long or until it is so hot you can't hang on to it. YMMV
Barry

Last edited:

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ill be taking both my 5" Kimber CDP II and my 4.25" Colt Commander ( both of which have been worked over by Accurate Iron) to TDSA in April. My plan is to shoot 50/50 with both of them. Ill let you know how my Commander does. I will only be using Tripp Cobra Mags for the class. I don't have cheap 1911 mags

BMPregler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Les Baer Commanche 4.25" with over a thousand rounds through it in less than a year. It runs and runs. It's the gun I shoot the best and it is a dream to carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom