Sleep Apnea..who has it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, i'm waiting to hear back from my PCP to get a sleep study done. My DR. and the sleep tech are both convinced that I have Sleep Apnea...hell, I am too...been snoring for yrs, sleepy during the day, wake up with headaches occasinally, and my wife is pretty convinced that I stop breathing at times.

Anyhoo...was curious how many guys here have it and use a CPAP or APAP? If so, how as it to get used to? If you are in the OKC area, who did you do your study with and what DME did you go through to get your equipment.

retired trucker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive been using a cpap for quite awhile now you shoul'nt have to hard of a tome adjusting to it. you wont believe the difference in how much better you will feel. sleep study will wire you with sensors to get a report then if time allows they will set up a cpap to set pressure to control breathing.i think my wife sleeps better listening to machine rather than snoring. let me know how it goes...

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, OSA sucks. But the alternative is worse.

Auto-CPAP is the way to go IMO, I have the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet. But your doctor will decide for you, as he has to do the script for the pressure settings. I think mine is set to adjust from 5-10. I'm still trying to adjust after a little over a month with the full mask. Sometimes I wake up feeling like I'm suffocating and subsequently rip the mask off. BTW - the machine doesn't make any noise. Only noise you'll hear is the air from a leak at the mask/skin interface.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive been using a cpap for quite awhile now you shoul'nt have to hard of a tome adjusting to it. you wont believe the difference in how much better you will feel. sleep study will wire you with sensors to get a report then if time allows they will set up a cpap to set pressure to control breathing.i think my wife sleeps better listening to machine rather than snoring. let me know how it goes...

that is good to hear, i'm lucky if I get 4 to 5 hrs of sleep cuz i usually wake up for one reason or another. i"m hoping to hear something this week about getting scheduled in. It's going on 2 weeks since i had my initial appointmen

I used to snore
Lost 40#
No more snoring.

I did that man..lost a lil over 100 lbs a few yrs ago...still snored...wasn't as loud but still did it

Yes, OSA sucks. But the alternative is worse.

Auto-CPAP is the way to go IMO, I have the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet. But your doctor will decide for you, as he has to do the script for the pressure settings. I think mine is set to adjust from 5-10. I'm still trying to adjust after a little over a month with the full mask. Sometimes I wake up feeling like I'm suffocating and subsequently rip the mask off. BTW - the machine doesn't make any noise. Only noise you'll hear is the air from a leak at the mask/skin interface.

From everything I read, auto would be the best bet. Once I find out how bad it is, i'll see if my insurance and the doc will let me pick one. I'm gonna have my study done with the Norman Sleep Associates..they told me depending on my insurance, i'll do the home study or there in house.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CPAP - resmed autoset, Swift FX "mask": under the nose "pillows" ....had very little problem getting used to it....made a tremendous difference...like most people, I love my machine....sweet air

check out secondwindcpap.com for for good prices and expert help.....I quickly learned to dislike local medical equipment companies

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From everything I read, auto would be the best bet. Once I find out how bad it is, i'll see if my insurance and the doc will let me pick one. I'm gonna have my study done with the Norman Sleep Associates..they told me depending on my insurance, i'll do the home study or there in house.

My Apnoea–Hypopnoea Index (AHI) was 42. That's events per hour. Severe is >30. I know some folks that had in the 90s. The machine tells me that I'm down to <1 - 4 events per hour.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Apnoea–Hypopnoea Index (AHI) was 42. That's events per hour. Severe is >30. I know some folks that had in the 90s. The machine tells me that I'm down to <1 - 4 events per hour.

Wow...ok, see that is the stuff i'm trying to learn before I go in and do mine. I'd like to know what it is they are telling me...lol

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up in the ER at the heart hospital. Doc said it was probably apnea. Had a study done within two weeks and I had 48 episodes per hour! CPAP has made my life much better. Lots more energy in the afternoons. They want you down to 4 or 5 per hour and I run a little more but it's better than 48.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up in the ER at the heart hospital. Doc said it was probably apnea. Had a study done within two weeks and I had 48 episodes per hour! CPAP has made my life much better. Lots more energy in the afternoons. They want you down to 4 or 5 per hour and I run a little more but it's better than 48.

wow...glad you are OK man. See that is why i went to my Dr and asked to be referred for a sleep study, I wanna tackle it before it's too late.

Latest posts

Top Bottom