Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now the quest for magazines begins.

I have owned mine since the 4th of the month. Did manage to get two 10 round long mags from S&W day before yesterday (now converted to 25 rounds). Swapped for a new 25 rounder this week. Have not had to pay the crazy prices they are getting right now. Have two more on backorder with S&W.

That is very interesting. I bought 5 (long) 10 round S&W mags at the gunshow last weekend. How do I convert them to 25 rounders?? And is it easy or hard to do?

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is very interesting. I bought 5 (long) 10 round S&W mags at the gunshow last weekend. How do I convert them to 25 rounders?? And is it easy or hard to do?

Very easy to do. The 10 rounders are actually 25 rounders. Take a small screwdriver and insert it into the follower. It has a round hole in it. Press down untill it will not travel anymore. This is where the roll pin is located. Take the bottom plate off. Remove the spring. Take a long thin screw driver and insert inside the mag. Center the blade of screwdriver on the roll pin. I used a small 4oz ball pein hammer. I had to smack it 10-12 times to bend the roll pin. It will eventually bend to a point that it will fall out. Reassemble mag and your good to go. Clear as mud?

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very easy to do. The 10 rounders are actually 25 rounders. Take a small screwdriver and insert it into the follower. It has a round hole in it. Press down untill it will not travel anymore. This is where the roll pin is located. Take the bottom plate off. Remove the spring. Take a long thin screw driver and insert inside the mag. Center the blade of screwdriver on the roll pin. I used a small 4oz ball pein hammer. I had to smack it 10-12 times to bend the roll pin. It will eventually bend to a point that it will fall out. Reassemble mag and your good to go. Clear as mud?

I'll be giving that a try. Thanks for sharing.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ran another 350-400 rounds of Remy GB through it today. Had a few ejection issues but I'm chalking that up to the new Plinker Tactical 35rd mag I was trying out since the S&W and Promag didn't have a single issue. The GB ran well...but man is it dirty. I'm gonna have to get some gloves just to handle it. I've got some CCI but I'm thinking I'll just suck it up, do the cleaning, and run through the GB.

After cleaning both guns of their range workout, I decided to do a little color work:

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Still need to touch it up but I like it.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did buy 5 of the S&w MP15-22 10 round mags today at the gun show. They were only $16 each.

The 25 round MP15-22 mags were $90 each at the gun show. LOL.

The above post was prices from last weekends gun show.

Today at the RK Gunshow, the 10 round mags climbed to $50 each this week. The 25 round mags climbed to $110 each.
(Same vendor as last week btw). Crazy. LOL

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks cool.

What did you use to do your color work?

What do you think about the Plinker tactical mags? I've read only negative things about them?

Rubbed over the engravings heavily with crayon (yes, crayon)...enough to fill the recess. Blew it off. Lightly scraped excess with a blade (straight edge knife, razor blade). Wiped away rest with a clean rag and then went over it again with a bit of RemOil on another rag.
Probably going to use a hair dryer or some type of heat to melt it and smooth it out a bit.

As for the Plinker mag. I ran it through 6 times along with my S&W and Promag. My experience:
> get the load assist tool - don't know how well it works but anything is better than standard loading - PITA!
> seems a tad smaller than the other mags - maybe a mm or 2 extra play in the magwell - still secure though
> 1st time through - 35 rounds and not a single issue
> 2nd time through - 1 eject issue - fed the next round but the bolt closed on the ejecting shell
> 3rd time through - 35 rounds and no issues
> 4th time through - 3 eject issues the same as previous
> 5th time through - 30 rounds and no issues
> 6th time through - 30 rounds and no issues
> 7th time through - 9 rounds and no issues - was finally tired of reloading this particular mag

I thought the eject issue might be with the rifle, but neither the S&W or Promag had a problem.
Maybe it was the Remy GB ammo, but again the S&W and Promag didn't have any problems with it.
Perhaps I didn't clean it well enough after my last outing, but through 350+ rounds the Plinker Tac was the only mag to have a problem.
I'm saving final verdict on it until I take it out again and put different ammo in it. Right now...it's not perfect but it did work well enough for me to shoot more than enough today.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot about 175 rounds of Federal Champion bulk ammo in the rain at the Oil Capital Steel Challenge match yesterday. Not a single FTF or FTE. Mine is pretty damn reliable. I now use liquid rem oil and LIGHTLY coat the bolt rails, the area the bolt slides on, a drop in the firepin, and the exterior of the bolt. Seems to be very slick and run well.

Good thing I have 4 magazines, but I'm still waiting on 4 more from S&W which I ordered 12/26...