Sniper rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with a Savage. Tough to beat for an out of the box rifle. I own several SWFA scopes, they are nice, but don't count out the Bushnell tactical elite G2 reticle.

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are lots and lots of potential rigs within the $2000 budget.
Sort of a Chevy, Ford, Chrysler thing.
The Savage is a good product with the advantage of having a barrel nut, which lets a person change out barrels at home with just a couple of tools. Real nice if you want to switch calibers or replace a barrel that has shot out.
It all comes down to personal preference and if somebody mentions one brand over another I see no reason to steer them away from that choice. Remington, Winchester, & Savage all sell good usable factory rifles and aftermarket parts are available to customize all three.
Same with scopes, there are a pile of choices and options.
I got one of the Super Snipers to put on the rifle I use to train new shooters and it has been an excellent scope for the cost. First focal plane, mil reticle and adjustments, 30mm body, holds zero, consistent and repeatable adjustments, decent quality glass, reliable, good size and weight.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Savage is a good product with the advantage of having a barrel nut
Barrel nut, accutrigger, floating and removable bolt head, removable bolt handle, adjustable firing pin - it's a superior rifle as a matter of fact. Everybody making a copy is just a further proof.

It becomes a matter of preference if the performance bar is set low enough to level the field: deer-of-angle at 150 yards - and they are all equally good.

Once you start pushing the envelop - the truth come out.

Remington is kinda like a Ford - to build a competitive one you have to use NO ORIGINAL parts.

Last edited:

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what happened to the OP -

For the supposed budget - pretty much a Rem700 version or Savage........after that I'd strongly recommend a Vortex Viper PST or Viper model line..........SWFA SS would be a possible. Moving into a Bushy would push the OP out as one needs to consider cost of bedding a rail, scope rings of quality (Seekins, Badger, APA, Griffin, TPS, ARC), sling, bipod, mags etc...... as the OP sees fit for priority.

4-16x or similar per would be a solid all around setup.

Forgot to add - OP, try FFP and SFP. 30mm tubes would be a priority as well IMO..........but you really need to exercise FFP and SFP scopes before blowing your dough on a whim. There's an ex Mil gent with a nice range in his back that holds a comp or used too, been there once. It would be a great place to start to learn, and experience how each part plays a role in a shoot. and what works for your phy. and mental aspects

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More adjustment in the scope. I've shot tactical matches 200-1600 yards in the same set.

Most 1" tactical scopes will have 60+MOA of adjustment - that will get you to 1200y+ with 100 yard zero. No doubt 30mm will have more room for adjustment - but I don't think it's some kind of arbitrary must have.
There are so many qualitative variables to be considered (glass, knobs, clicks, construction, zoom, etc) - that the quantitative concerns should be last (tube size, objective size, length etc).

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most 1" tactical scopes will have 60+MOA of adjustment - that will get you to 1200y+ with 100 yard zero. No doubt 30mm will have more room for adjustment - but I don't think it's some kind of arbitrary must have.
There are so many qualitative variables to be considered (glass, knobs, clicks, construction, zoom, etc) - that the quantitative concerns should be last (tube size, objective size, length etc).

Like you said, 30mm gives you more adjustment than a 1" tube. Glad we can agree on that

Latest posts

Top Bottom