Sniper rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcplfoxhound

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm looking to get into competition and bench shooting and I live out in the middle of nowhere so I might need a rifle that can really reach and touch someone. I'm mainly interested in a rifle that fires a .308. I, unfortunatley, know next to nothing about sniper rifles and I assume that the local Walmart doesn't carry what I need. Any information would be highly appreciated

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any rifle in a snipers hand is a snipers rifle! But honestly, I know what you mean. First question, semi or bolt action? If bolt is your answer, then believe it or not, your local Walmart might just indeed have the rifle you need. Remington 700, or Winchester model 70. But honestly, savage, FN, CZ, Remington, Winchester, mossberg, howa, ruger, all of these makers and more offer precision type rifles. As a matter of fact, the Remington 700 is the go to bolt action of choice for a great many marksmen. But if you want semi auto, there are some choices there. Ar-10, M1A ( M-14),G-3 ( PTR-91), FNAR, FNSCAR, the list goes on. And then there's optics, stocks, and bipeds. The big question? How much do you want to spend?

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I was just up near Watonga this weekend dove hunting. We were out in oakwood ( or oak hurst?). My daughter and I stopped in at y'all's fancy sonic Sunday night!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're looking for a benchrest gun, have it built. The specific rules of the build are stupid, but the builders push right to the limits to keep you within limitations. Might look at Beanland Custom Rifles, google it, there's a website. He mostly builds tactical rifles these days, but his record with benchrest is unchallenged.

Lcplfoxhound

New to the site!
Reaction score
Precision is important, but so is practicality, so I'll probably say a semi. I like bolt actions, but I've never fired one, so as for right now ill stick to what I know. And how much does a decent sniper rifle cost to build?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are pretty vast differences between a "sniper" or practical style rifle versus a benchrest style rifle. What type of competition are you looking to do?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or you could just get this.. for 3,000 bucks
http://www.snipercentral.com/lesbaer.phtml

i like my cheaper bolt action rifles.. follow up shots do not take that long really.
I busted 2 deer in a field within 60 yards with my 30-06 with 4-16x40 scope..
Both deer fell dead instantly within 5 seconds of each other. and they were on the move.

I had pulled that off once before but one was walking slow and i nailed it t over 300 yards.
The other came running at me.. i short stroked the 30-06.. thinking i had my .308.".CLICK"
I then got a good non fired round in there.. deer was at a dead run now 36 yards from me..Turned left when it seen me and got one in the neck.

The .308 could keep that short stroke accident from happening.. you do not realize how much difference there is between long action and short action until a bad situation comes up.

Have fun on your quest for the ultimate sniper rifle.. and line your wallet!!!

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like you know nothing about accurate rifles and are asking;

A. What precision rifle would be "best" for me to buy?
&
B. How much would it cost to buy a good accurate rifle to do the job?

I need to mention that, as pointed about in other replies, a "sniper" rifle is a rifle specifically utilized by a "sniper" to kill people. Since I don't shoot at people and never will unless it is an issue of saving the life of one of my loved one's, I much prefer to call them precision or tactical rifles. Not trying to bust your chops, just clearing up your terminology.

The first thing you need to decide is budget because a $1500 budget will end up with a completely different product than a $5000 budget.

The second thing you need to decide on is caliber because the rifle you purchase is actually determined around caliber.
Because they are available for both semi-auto and bolt rifles the two good choices are 5.56/.223 and 308 Winchester.
A really bad choice for a beginner is just about any cartridge ending in magnum.

The third thing you need to decide is bolt rifle or semi-auto.
Bolt rifles are generally more reliable and accurate while semi-auto's have more of the "gee whiz" factor that gets the blood pumping when you are thinking about spending a big wad of money.
As a rifle coach I can assure you that the bolt rifle is a much easier platform to learn to utilize accurately.
Unless somebody tells me "I am going to use a semi-auto 100% of the time" I normally try to get them to start out with a bolt rifle.

Once you make the decisions I mentioned above, the rest often falls into place pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom