So I found some money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious about those saying it sounds like a scam...what's the play like?

The mere fact he saw her drop the money and did nothing is suspicious as hell and sets off warning bells.

There are several ways it could have played out. All of which depends upon the finder's greed. I'm sure they could produce the serial numbers or some kind of marking or other identifiers to prove the money was theirs. Your honesty stopped them in their tracks. I'll bet if you called the police they would know about them.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mere fact he saw her drop the money and did nothing is suspicious as hell and sets off warning bells.

There are several ways it could have played out. All of which depends upon the finder's greed. I'm sure they could produce the serial numbers or some kind of marking or other identifiers to prove the money was theirs. Your honesty stopped them in their tracks. I'll bet if you called the police they would know about them.

Perhaps, but what gain would the perpetrators have? If they dropped their own money and one took it, how do they gain?

I ask because when I was a store manager once, our loss prevention people spent some time with me looking at stuff. Some of the things he told me that customers tried to do to steal from the company really surprised me.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was bait for some kind of scam, you'd think you could risk a lot less than $180. So I'm kind of skeptical of that, but I'd love to hear how it works if it is.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm naïve and dont see how the scam works out?
Maybe they expected some frail lady to pick it up and jump her right there in a busy shopping center to get their money back and hers?
I guess I dont have a deceptive enough of a mindset to see how this works out as a scam.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how it could be a scam either.

Chances are the guy didn't see her drop anything, and just took advantage of the opportunity when you asked. Good on you for being honest either way.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you walk through a busy place, somebody runs between you and another person and "accidentally" drops some cash – typically a few hundred dollar bills. The person beside you sees it, as well.

He begins to pick up the banknotes, but because he knows you noticed, offers to share it 50-50. As a good person you are, you look after the owner of the money, but he is long gone. You fall into temptation, take your share of $200, and walk away.

Three minutes later, the owner of the money – along with a couple of big guys – taps your shoulder and asks for the money back – the full amount. As you only have half, you need to see the closest ATM in order to get away without being hurt. As foolish as it seems, the scam happens a lot.

Money Drop / Found Wallet scam
One variation of the hustle works like this: An individual notices a wallet or transparent bag full of money in plain view. In my case it was a wad of USD dropped on the snow in front of me. It is then scooped up by a passerby, who asks the targeted victim to split the money. During the conversation, a second person appears, claiming to have lost his money. The “discovered” money is counted and soon the hapless victim finds himself accused of theft and asked to produce his wallet to prove he has not taken the "missing" money, your wallet is then emptied of its contents. There are different variations of the wallet drop scam but all of them involve two individuals working together. For example, in another variation the second person poses as a police officer, and threatens the victim with arrest if he doesn’t hand over their wallet for inspection to answer for the “missing” money. Fortunately these scams are easy to avoid. If you see cash on the ground, ignore it and say "no" to anyone who approaches you.

So tell me, what would you have done had they said some amount way away from $180?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As you walk through a busy place, somebody runs between you and another person and "accidentally" drops some cash – typically a few hundred dollar bills. The person beside you sees it, as well.

He begins to pick up the banknotes, but because he knows you noticed, offers to share it 50-50. As a good person you are, you look after the owner of the money, but he is long gone. You fall into temptation, take your share of $200, and walk away.

Three minutes later, the owner of the money – along with a couple of big guys – taps your shoulder and asks for the money back – the full amount. As you only have half, you need to see the closest ATM in order to get away without being hurt. As foolish as it seems, the scam happens a lot.

Money Drop / Found Wallet scam
One variation of the hustle works like this: An individual notices a wallet or transparent bag full of money in plain view. In my case it was a wad of USD dropped on the snow in front of me. It is then scooped up by a passerby, who asks the targeted victim to split the money. During the conversation, a second person appears, claiming to have lost his money. The “discovered” money is counted and soon the hapless victim finds himself accused of theft and asked to produce his wallet to prove he has not taken the "missing" money, your wallet is then emptied of its contents. There are different variations of the wallet drop scam but all of them involve two individuals working together. For example, in another variation the second person poses as a police officer, and threatens the victim with arrest if he doesn’t hand over their wallet for inspection to answer for the “missing” money. Fortunately these scams are easy to avoid. If you see cash on the ground, ignore it and say "no" to anyone who approaches you.

So tell me, what would you have done had they said some amount way away from $180?

We ran into this scam at the West End in Dallas Tx. Big restaurant area not far from where President Kennedy was assassinated.
Listening to a good blues band on a patio when a guy tapped me on the shoulder. Said he saw a $50 bill on the ground behind me and wanted to know if it was mine and wanted to return it.
I told him it wasn't mine and enjoy his find.
He persisted in saying he would just trade me half of it since I was so honest. We just refused and went back to watching the band.
Didn't know what to think other than he wanted to give me the $50 being probably a bogus bill made on a copy machine that looked real in the evening light while taking my real $25.
Have no idea but that is our experience with that scam.
Congrats to adamsredlines for being the honest person!

Latest posts

Top Bottom