Social Settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sig-man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I know that when I come into contact with a LEO in the official performance of his duties, I am required to let him know that I am carrying. However, what about in a social setting. Meeting the LEO for the first time at a restaurant? Friends house? What if he isn't in uniform and I find out after meeting them that they are a LEO? Should I just tell them that I have my ccl and that I am carrying? Or should I take them aside and let them see my license?

I know, I have probably put way too much thought into this, but t.v. was really boring tonight. So, I had to lots of time to ponder this great mystery of life.

Oh, and I did do a search. Either I missed it because my eyes glazed or there wasn't an answer to this specific question.

landontc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You only need to notify in the event of a routine traffic stop, arrest, etc.

NOT if you just happen to pass by, or have a conversation, etc.

EDIT: Here's the applicable text from the SDA

It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No to all the above, unless:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a concealed handgun licensee when no handgun is in the person’s possession or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger."

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To add to what Kopbet posted, "Contact means: (a) conversation (b) A stop of a motor vehicle,weather the citizen is driving or a passenger; or (c) Any arrest ,for any reason.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To add to what Kopbet posted, "Contact means: (a) conversation (b) A stop of a motor vehicle,weather the citizen is driving or a passenger; or (c) Any arrest ,for any reason.

Except that isn't true. I think this may be a quote from the SDA instructor's manual from CLEET, but it isn't the law. The applicable law has been quoted above.

Casual conversation with an officer does not consititute detainment, traffic stop or arrest.

About the only gray area is if an officer initiates conversation with you. He may be having a casual conversation, making an inquiry or he may consider you detained if he has reasonable suspicion that have been, are, or about to be engaged in criminal activity. If in doubt, ask if you are being detained. If it is affirmative, then tell him you have a CCW.

If you have some interaction with an officer and they are asking official questions, it might be a generally good idea to let them know you have a CCW and the required CWL. This would keep you on the safe side of the detainment issue, but please don't go telling every officer at the donut shop or the officer directing traffic that you have a CCW.

Also you have no obligation to present your CWL without any prompting. Some consider the presenting of a CWL to an officer appropriate notification per the SDA (as quoted above). Though technically the SDA requires that you inform the officer that you are in possesion of a concealed handgun. Presenting your license does not do this, but it sure is implied. I would even argue that you not compelled to show it ever. The SDA makes it clear you are required to have it on your person, though.

BTW, I am not a lawyer so do some research and make your own decisions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom