some questions..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luanbu1

New to the site!
Reaction score
So this would be my first time owning any type of firearm but I was looking into getting a S&W 15-22 so I could learn a little. Is this a good idea? Any reason why it would be bad or good?

Also, I've been reading around a bit and I know it is beating a dead horse asking this question but I would also like to use this as some sort of HD weapon since well it would be the only one I have and it would be a lot better than not having one at all. Is there any type of specific ammo or anything that anyone would recommend on me getting?

Thanks guys.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to shoot one at a meet-n-shoot. Nice gun. Good trainer for getting a real AR later. The feel and all the controls work exactly like an AR.

I'd shoot cheapo ammo while plinking. Get the stingers for HD. Then save yer pennies for a good HD gun.

And, Welcome to OSA!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might look at a Marlin Model 60...simple, reliable, 14 rds in the tube, cheap, (approx $150), no magazine to get jammed up, and they like pretty much any ammo for practice. A good starter to learn on if you want a rifle. Agree on CCI ammo for SD/HD, Stingers or even CCI mini-mags are good choices

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had my 15/22 for about 2 months and have about 2k rnd thru it so far, all Federal, Remington and Winchester bulk Wally World ammo. It eats them all with only a few FTE's from the Win ammo, but the gun was pretty dirty and it was after the 200 mark for the day. If you get one put a red dot on it and you'll love it!

Might take you a trip to H&H this weekend and shoot one to see how you like it and almost any other gun made as they are having a State Fair of guns at their store.

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you want to learn get a bolt action 22. it will teach you how to shoot. you wont be so tempted to unleash and let the rounds fly. they are cheap to buy. then step up into an auto feeder. i believe everyone should own at least 2 22's. they are so fun to shoot.

luanbu1

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions and replies guys. I'll probably stop by H&H this weekend like Byrd suggested to try it out. And I'll look into the Marlin Model 60 like a lot of you guys recommended.

Latest posts

Top Bottom