Sources of Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a subject that I looked for here, but couldn't find it. What will you do for light in the dark when the balloon goes up? Batteries and liquid fuel will only go so far, and they will eventually run out. How will you light your dwelling or shelter at night, or if you are underground? How will you light your way at night?

I have had good luck with the LED shaker-type flashlights (not everybody has) and there are also some solar/wind-up lanterns that I got from LL Bean a couple of years or so ago. I have had fairly decent luck with these as well.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the simplest is a solar panel from Harbor freight to charge a car battery. then some 12 volt lights from HF or a RVcenter.
charge during day and run all night. rechargable flashlights that use a usb port charger w/ cigarette plug. get a cig.plug with clamps from HF costs like $3-4
good lights to look at is MH-25 from Nitecore 800 lumens and about $60 on Amazon.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are talking about extreme long term (years) liquid fuel would be the best way as it can be replenished. Think of how it was 200 years ago. Animal fat was rendered down to make oil, bees wax was used to make candles etc. Lighting is nothing new. BRIGHT lighting however has only been done the last 75 years or so. If you are talking shorter term say 5 years or less then a small solar system is hard to beat. You can use it to recharge batteries, for all sorts of lighting as well as other small electrical conveniences. A small solar setup is not terribly cost prohibitive, and if needed can be somewhat portable (although heavy due to batteries). BTW solar panels will last much longer than 5 years. It's the batteries that can get questionable after that long.

For a room/shelter I really like the LED strip lighting. It's 12 volt and you can put it on a dimmer. Two 16' strips around a room will light it up REALLY bright.

Latest posts

Top Bottom