Springfield Prodigy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudder

New to the site!
Reaction score
Got a new Prodigy 4.25 incher today. First thing was the thumb safety. The left hand safety has too much lateral play, the right hand safety when disengaged, the left hand safety (the side that blocks the sear) cams away laterally and won't release to unblock sear. IT isn't the thumb safety tab that blocks the sear fitted poorly, rather that the groove retaining the safety allows too much lateral play. Further, sear and hammer are cast, even with fitting still have creep. For the price of these guns, the safety should be fit and function correctly. AS is, a weak hand (right handed shooter) string would be a bust. The grip safety has far too much engagement, i.e. has to be depressed too far to disengage the trigger bow. This is easily corrected, but shouldn't be an issue in this price range. Shooting with mixed ammo, no malfunctions. Comes with too much hammer spring, using 15-16 lb. hammer spring would allow for more recoil spring. Just what I noted on first impressions today.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a new Prodigy 4.25 incher today. First thing was the thumb safety. The left hand safety has too much lateral play, the right hand safety when disengaged, the left hand safety (the side that blocks the sear) cams away laterally and won't release to unblock sear. IT isn't the thumb safety tab that blocks the sear fitted poorly, rather that the groove retaining the safety allows too much lateral play. Further, sear and hammer are cast, even with fitting still have creep. For the price of these guns, the safety should be fit and function correctly. AS is, a weak hand (right handed shooter) string would be a bust. The grip safety has far too much engagement, i.e. has to be depressed too far to disengage the trigger bow. This is easily corrected, but shouldn't be an issue in this price range. Shooting with mixed ammo, no malfunctions. Comes with too much hammer spring, using 15-16 lb. hammer spring would allow for more recoil spring. Just what I noted on first impressions today.
Feeding rounds has been an issue with them.

Dillon157

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A “2011” style handgun, from a well-established company, at only $1500 was an exciting proposition. Even being a Staccato owner, I was excited about the potential. Heck, the first gun I ever owned was a Springfield 1911, so the Prodigy was even more intriguing to me.

With that said, I’ve never been as confident in the reliability of a 1911 as a modern striker fired handgun (like a Glock). As others have mentioned, they can be temperamental. And while 1911s have some incredible benefits that you just can’t replicate in a striker fired gun, reliability is a concern for me.

At the moment I have over 4,000 rounds through my Staccato P with 0 malfunctions of any kind. I have additional experience shooting two other Staccatos which also ran flawlessly. And they’re amazing to shoot. I have full confidence in its reliability and would highly recommend spending the extra $1000 if you’re looking to get into this platform. That’s the cost of the research, development, and attention to detail during manufacturing that result in the quality and reliability we expect today.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A “2011” style handgun, from a well-established company, at only $1500 was an exciting proposition. Even being a Staccato owner, I was excited about the potential. Heck, the first gun I ever owned was a Springfield 1911, so the Prodigy was even more intriguing to me.

With that said, I’ve never been as confident in the reliability of a 1911 as a modern striker fired handgun (like a Glock). As others have mentioned, they can be temperamental. And while 1911s have some incredible benefits that you just can’t replicate in a striker fired gun, reliability is a concern for me.

At the moment I have over 4,000 rounds through my Staccato P with 0 malfunctions of any kind. I have additional experience shooting two other Staccatos which also ran flawlessly. And they’re amazing to shoot. I have full confidence in its reliability and would highly recommend spending the extra $1000 if you’re looking to get into this platform. That’s the cost of the research, development, and attention to detail during manufacturing that result in the quality and reliability we expect today.
You have good valid points. You mentioned some of the irreproducible advantages of a 2011 over a striker fired and I take no issue with that. You may want to consider how each platform is affected by “user based malfunctions”, which include brain farts and the like. That’s why I tend to trust striker fired

GunnyH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine runs 100% of the time. Decent factory trigger. From my research anyone that has had a problem with them it is easily fixed. Feeding problems are ALMOST ALWAYS magazine induced. Easy fix, quality mags. Like I said mine functions perfectly.

Russ661

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 4.25" model and I was somewhat disappointed by some of the machining. The disconnector passage and the firing pin passage both look to have been drilled with a broken bit, very obvious heavy scratches which prevent the smooth movement of the respective parts. The cerracoat is somewhat thick in places, most notably the slide and frame rails, and being soft makes the slide movement a bit sticky. Normal wear will eventually correct this, but it still bugs me. One thing I noticed that I really like is the trigger pull weight: 3.5 lbs on my analog spring scale and very consistent. All that being said, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so I can't talk to reliability, but I have high hopes!

Latest posts

Top Bottom