Springfield Prodigy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the Prodigy is technically a 2011, a design that can be very fickle. Even the vaunted Staccato had issues with theirs when they first came out and it took a while for Staccato to work out the bugs. The main problem is that Springfield has attempted to make a cheaper version of the Staccato using cast parts which don't seem to work well together. And it's such a crap shoot to get one that works right. Some people report no problems, while the other half can't even run 1 mag without the gun jamming.
Hmm

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This gun is pretty disappointing. I really wanted one when they came out. Still do. But, yeah...I'll give it some time for SA to solve some of the problems.
Same here, I was excited when the Prodigy came out but very disappointed after watching the reviews. I'll wait to see how this comes out.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the Prodigy is technically a 2011, a design that can be very fickle. Even the vaunted Staccato had issues with theirs when they first came out and it took a while for Staccato to work out the bugs. The main problem is that Springfield has attempted to make a cheaper version of the Staccato using cast parts which don't seem to work well together. And it's such a crap shoot to get one that works right. Some people report no problems, while the other half can't even run 1 mag without the gun jamming.

First, I wouldn't be trying to correct GunFluffer on 1911s lol.

Second. "Technically" you are incorrect. Springfield cannot call the prodigy a "2011." The design isn't inherently fickle, like the 1911. It's just that many try to cut corners with regards to the specs.

Finally, When someone doesn't know much about 1911s or even 2011s.... they start talking about cast, mim, and forged. :D Rather, they overplay it's significance when it's usually chamber, mags, or extractor issues that are 90% of the problem opposed to the actual manufacturing process of the parts.

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The biggest single issue with 2011 guns from what I've learned is that the original magazines required tuning to function reliably. Apparently, Staccato worked to make substantial improvements to the original 2011 magazine design and manufacturing process.

bullseyeblack

House fire survivor!
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to okshooters but I did just get a Springfield prodigy 4.25, I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but overlooking everything I have high hopes that it will run fine.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a 4.25 Saturday after looking at them the Sunday before. Sunday before they had 10 in stock. Saturday they had 2. Hoping to shoot this weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom