Subcompact/Pocket pistols, which one should I go with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
CM/CW9 really cant go wrong with either one. I would get the CM first and add the CW later. At which point I would shorten the CW grip to take the CM mags or a homemade COVERT. I have a Glock 43 and a Shield in 9mm but always have a soft spot for the Kahr pistols.

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I would agree on the Rohrbaugh. Out of some peoples price range and since Freedom Group recently acquired them not really sure of Rohrbaughs future.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pocket sized guns seem to be my forte. Other than when I'm on duty, I rarely ever carry a full size pistol any more. After totin' a blaster daily for more than 26 years, I just get sick and tired of that damned dead weight on my hip. Seems like I've owned every pocket sized gun out there from revolvers to bottom feeders and from .22LR all the way up to .45ACP. I've tried 'em all.

Looking at your list, I see some mighty fine choices. I've owned every single one of those pistols at one time or another and the one I still have today is...

The Glock 43.

On off duty days, I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis front pocket holster along with a spare mag in a kydex mag pouch in my front left pocket. The mag pouch was made by our very own chr_edw here at OSA and I highly recommend that you get one if you choose the G43. I have a piece of paracord run thru one of the tension holes on the pouch. I run it up and tie it on a belt loop so it falls away when I draw the spare mag instead of me trying to snick it off with a finger or sling it off when drawn. I index the magazine, pull it up and out of the pocket and the pouch comes off and just hangs there on the paracord so it won't get lost.

I've almost sold my little G43 about 3 or 4 times and thank God I didn't because everytime I think about selling it, I step outside, pop off a few rounds and fall in love with it all over again! :heart::heart:

It shoots good, it feels good in the hand, it carries well either on the waist or in a pocket, accessories are easy to find and quite abundant and a it's a Glock! You are already a Glock owner, why stray from that brand? You know your G19 inside and out...don't you? If you don't, you really should. Other than a 1911, the Glock is the only gun that I can rip out all it's guts and put it back together without any help.

Let's look at some of your choices and weigh the pros and cons of them to the Glock 43.

Glock 26: It's a Glock, carries about the same as your G19, uses same mags and holsters. But it's kinda fat and bulky - the very reason you're wanting something other than your G19 for light days.

Ruger LCR 9mm: I have one in .38 Special so I really can't talk about how the 9mm variant shoots. I'm guessing about the same as the .38. However, you said you hated the S&W 642. While the LCR DOES shoot a little better than the S&W J frames, maybe wheelies just ain't for you.

As for the Kahrs? They are awesome pistols. The feel good, they shoot good, they carry good. If I were to every ditch my G43 for another slim, single stack 9mm the Kahr would probably be what I go with. While the trigger is buttery smooth, it's longer than a whore's dream at the same time and the reset is practically nonexistent.

Of course, YOU are the one totin' this pistol, not us. You gotta search your heart (and wallet) and decide what's best for you and your needs.

Good luck on your search and keep us informed on your decision! :w000t:

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have ya looked into the springfield xds??
Just picked up a xds in 45acp. Have about
150rds of various rounds thru it and I'm really
impressed.. Size us very comparable to a s&w
shield. Recoil is very manageable. Welcome to try
It out if ya want to.

By the way, founds some pictures of a certain fishing trip
We went on.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my XDs. I like the grip more than the Shield, but it is narrow. I think the little Glock 43 is smaller in the hand, IIRC. I never shot it, but the Walther PPS also has a nice hand-feel. I was going to buy that until I got a great deal on my XDs. I went from a Glock 23 to the XDs and it made a world of difference for IWB carry. Single stacks are much less intrusive, IMO, and more or less fade away. I did toss a 26 in my holster I used for my 23 and it felt almost the same. The grip obviously printed less, but it was just too fat for comfort. I really enjoy shooting the XDs too. It's big enough to be fun, but small enough to carry in and out. The mag extension will help if you have big hands.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another vote for the XDS. Had a G19 and G26. Good guns no doubt, but just a bit chunky. I basically came down to I had the XDS and the G26. They are almost exactly the same height and length; the only difference was thickness. So I kept the XDS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom