taller front sight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put a peep sight on my Marlin 39m but cannot adjust it low enough and need a taller front sight but.....is there a way to calculate how much taller I need?

At 25 yards I am about 2.5" too high with the peep bottomed out.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What brand did you use and was it correct for the gun? Brownells, Numrich or the mfgr should have a chart telling what front sight is required.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is your barrel a sight in a dovetail?
A screwed on ramp with dovetail sight
Or. a soldered on ramp with dovetail sight. It will matter on what you order.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
got this from midway Q&A
Q What front sight will work with this rear sight ? The current front sight is to low and at the lowest setting of the rear sight it shoots 2 ft high.Asked by James 2 years ago

Product Owner - garthdial3811When you say "lowest setting", are you referring to the white marks on the base or when the cross bar is adjusted down to actually just touch the top of the receiver? The lowest setting sould be down to the receiver top; forget about those white marks because they are only a distraction.You didn't specify the range you were sighting in at or your barrel length. These are important to the calculation. All of my Marlin 39s have 24" barrels, so the sight radius with the FP-39 is about 26". To correct for 2' high at:100 yards sight-in→0.173" taller 75 yards sight-in→0.231" taller 50 yards sight-in→0.347" taller 25 yards sight-in→0.693" tallerAfter looking at these numbers, I will assume that you were sighting in at about 100 yards because the 75 yard correction is questionable and the 50 and 25 yard corrections are just plain silly! 100 yards is a stretch for the .22LR cartridge. 75 yards is about the maximum range for the energy available to cleanly kill rabbits, which are about as big a game animal that a 22 should be used for. Here's a tip from the 1950's that the shooting folks seem to have forgotten. It's called "Sight-in for the Muzzle Velocity". Let's say your 22's velocity is ~1200fps. Take the first two digits, which would be 12, and sight-in dead on at 12 yards. The bullet will be dead on again at about 7 times that distance, which would be 84 yards. This method works for all guns and cartridges and saves a lot of time, ammo, and walking at the range.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
got this from midway Q&A
Q What front sight will work with this rear sight ? The current front sight is to low and at the lowest setting of the rear sight it shoots 2 ft high.Asked by James 2 years ago

Product Owner - garthdial3811When you say "lowest setting", are you referring to the white marks on the base or when the cross bar is adjusted down to actually just touch the top of the receiver? The lowest setting sould be down to the receiver top; forget about those white marks because they are only a distraction.You didn't specify the range you were sighting in at or your barrel length. These are important to the calculation. All of my Marlin 39s have 24" barrels, so the sight radius with the FP-39 is about 26". To correct for 2' high at:100 yards sight-in→0.173" taller 75 yards sight-in→0.231" taller 50 yards sight-in→0.347" taller 25 yards sight-in→0.693" tallerAfter looking at these numbers, I will assume that you were sighting in at about 100 yards because the 75 yard correction is questionable and the 50 and 25 yard corrections are just plain silly! 100 yards is a stretch for the .22LR cartridge. 75 yards is about the maximum range for the energy available to cleanly kill rabbits, which are about as big a game animal that a 22 should be used for. Here's a tip from the 1950's that the shooting folks seem to have forgotten. It's called "Sight-in for the Muzzle Velocity". Let's say your 22's velocity is ~1200fps. Take the first two digits, which would be 12, and sight-in dead on at 12 yards. The bullet will be dead on again at about 7 times that distance, which would be 84 yards. This method works for all guns and cartridges and saves a lot of time, ammo, and walking at the range.

I've never heard of that method. Very interesting. I'm going to have to try that out.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do your self a favor and "K.I.S.S." check that sight and make correction at 100 yards. Barely discernable changes at 25 yards can be pretty big at 100 yards.

Using the basic example of 1 click equals 1 inch at 100 yards. Then changing the front sight 1 click and shooting at 25 yards the group will move 1/4 inch, a change you might not even see. You will be able see the change at 100.

That Dawson sight calculator above should work just fine.

Here is the Brownell's version. I started using this one way back in the 70's when it was in their catalog and moved on when they included it on their website.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=13093

Latest posts

Top Bottom