Tell me I'm just paranoid...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I'm a big advocate of holster wear on carry guns. Meaning, I hear all the time about people belly aching that their brand new carry gun is showing some holster wear. I believe that holster wear is a form of beauty and that it represents a person's devotion to carrying a firearm for the protection of his/herself and the safety of their loved ones, and it should be revered as such.

However...

I'm scared to death to tote my new 3 inch K frame model 13-3 because I fear the rust that will surely appear on it. I'm what is referred to in the cop world as a "secreator." Meaning, I tend to sweat a little more than most folks. I know, I know...TMI, right?

But seriously...I'm afraid that if I carry this little guy, he's gonna turn bright orange on me.

Anybody else like this? Or am I just a freak and should "practice what I preach" and just carry the damned thing and love whatever rust, saddlewear or other issues will surely follow.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just carry it - take proper care w/ cleaning and covering it and you shouldn't have an issue - if you start seeing signs of anything wanting to definitely go extra thorough on cleaning

just like any tool take care of it - it will take care of you

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm the same way, that's why I had my Sig refinished. I could rust the sucker in one day if I didn't wipe it down regularly. If you carry it, take a rag with you. I used to stick one of those little silicon wipes in its ziploc baggie in my pocket, or in the car, so I could wipe it down midway through the day. I have to do the same with my 3" blued GP. If I touch it and don't wipe it down before I put it in the safe, it will have a rusty fingerprint on it in 24 hours.

I have the same problem...

microsoftisevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you would be just fine as long as you wipe it down at night. Just make it part of your routine. Keep a rag with some CLP or something on it and put it on your dresser. Make it habit that when you de-pants, you de-sweat your purty gun. A quick wipe should do it. Then, once every week or so, do a little better job and clean it, preferable after you PRACTICE!!! If you are carrying it, eliminate the idea that it is a thing of beauty. Think of it instead as a tool. If you want it to stay nice, get a second one and throw it in your safe.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just keep her wiped down. If it rusts it should be able to be cleaned up with a little oil. Just keep an eye on it.

No, no, no, wait, give it to me, I'll make sure it don't rust.

:D

I'm afraid of the same thing with my model 38.

Latest posts

Top Bottom