Tell us about your time at the Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FEG's Hi Power clone is one of the most under-rated handguns out there. I've got one, and it is a shooter. Congrats!

I like it quite a bit. Took it to the range today, and it shoots straight, if a bit to the left (that's probably a me thing). I had a lot of problems with polymer coated (projectiles) reloads. When I switched to Remington, it ran a lot better, but still had a double feed (fail to extract). I've got a set of Wolff springs headed my way, along with new mags. I WILL make it run!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a double feed (fail to extract). I've got a set of Wolff springs headed my way, along with new mags. I WILL make it run!

I hope you ordered an extractor spring. Extractor springs are notoriously weak on the FEG. Mine was having the same double feed (failure to extract) malfunction. I installed a new extractor spring and it has been perfect thru 250 rounds now. Is yours the exact BHP pattern, or the later version with the so-called "Smith and Wesson" style barrel lock-up?

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you ordered an extractor spring. Extractor springs are notoriously weak on the FEG. Mine was having the same double feed (failure to extract) malfunction. I installed a new extractor spring and it has been perfect thru 250 rounds now. Is yours the exact BHP pattern, or the later version with the so-called "Smith and Wesson" style barrel lock-up?

It's the Browning pattern. And I have a couple spring kits coming from Midway (my dumb butt ordered a kit without the extractor spring, so I ordered another kit). I just have to figure out how to install it. I've got a pretty good idea from my perusal of the interwebz.

I'm not sure the extractor spring is the problem, but it seems likely due to the symptoms. But, I tried the loaded cartridge test, and the extractor held it in place despite strongly shaking the slide. I've checked the resistance of the extractor spring by pressing on it, and while I can certainly move the extractor, it takes a bit of effort. The extractor itself seems to have little to no wear, as the bluing is still there (inside the "hook"). I DID perhaps put too much lube/grease on the whole gun when I was cleaning it.

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure the extractor spring is the problem, but it seems likely due to the symptoms.
Mine passed the loaded cartridge test, too, but did not function correctly until I replaced the extractor spring. On an FEG, I would do it as a matter of course. Remove the firing pin and spring. Use a 3/32" pin punch to drive the sear lever roll pin out from right-to-left and lift sear lever out of slide. Then use a 1/16" pin punch to drive the extractor roll pin out from bottom-to-top, taking care to control the extractor and its spring.

Last edited:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine passed the loaded cartridge test, too, but did not function correctly until I replaced the extractor spring. On an FEG, I would do it as a matter of course. Remove the firing pin and spring. Use a 3/32" pin punch to drive the sear lever roll pin out from right-to-left and lift sear lever out of slide. Then use a 1/16" pin punch to drive the extractor roll pin out from top-to-bottom, taking care to control the extractor and its spring.

Thanks! Just to clarify, when you say "left to right" is that while looking at the top of the slide with the muzzle facing away from me? I picked up a set of roll pin punches today so I can attempt this surgical procedure!

I noticed that while the extractor spring takes some effort, it does feel a bit "crunchy". It may just be a really gunked extractor channel, but by the time I get to the channel, I may as well replace the spring.

Thanks again.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always wanted a forged BHP clone made by FM or FEG. I plan to buy one later this year.

I was looking at the FEG and an FM. Same price and I liked them both. I went back and forth for a bit mentally, consulted the Google Gods and was about to get the FM. My brother kept saying "The FEG is nicer", but he's got some other Hungarian guns he really likes, so I figured he might be biased! The FM was a very traditional military style Hi Power. Parkerized finish, very basic 1911 style military sights (i.e. small...really small) and the "chicklet" style safety. The FEG had 3 dot sights and bluing that looked decent.

I quickly realized I could barely work the safety on the FM and that's when I finally noticed an extended safety on the FEG. I picked up the FEG. The bluing turned out to be good once I cleaned it up. I mean, REALLY good. It flat glows like the best Colt used to offer.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! Just to clarify, when you say "left to right" is that while looking at the top of the slide with the muzzle facing away from me? I picked up a set of roll pin punches today so I can attempt this surgical procedure!

I noticed that while the extractor spring takes some effort, it does feel a bit "crunchy". It may just be a really gunked extractor channel, but by the time I get to the channel, I may as well replace the spring.

Thanks again.
Yes, right-to-left does mean looking at the slide from above with the muzzle pointing away from you. BTW, I believe FEG's extended safety lever to be the best available outside of a pure custom job by Don Williams. Much, much better than the military safety on the FM.

BlackRiflesBoy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BlackRifle and I went. Got crop dusted all day by hundreds of other guys that most likely had a community chili cook off the night before. Normal sore feet and back after walking up and down a hundred or so aisles for 11 acres. Lots of neat stuff to see and deals to be had. I always enjoy the show even if I don't buy anything. I've started going to this twice a year and skipping all the OKC fairground shows.

Latest posts

Top Bottom