The Bug Out Bag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy Crap!!!

I decided to take a quick search for potassium permanganate.

I bought some from a lab supply house a few years back. Pretty sure it was over 10 bucks per oz (pure).

Found this stuff online. Looks to be the same as what is in the video.

http://www.water-softeners-filters....ng-2-lbs.php?gclid=CIOaoabAnb0CFRQV7Aod-TYA1g

2 POUNDS for 18 bucks (on sale) and only 7 bucks shipping.

With this much stuff, it would be easy to play "Mr. Science" for your kids and friends and still have plenty left over!!

Dave

Nice I will have to check it out. Good points on the finding antifreeze easier than glycerin...

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep a perpetual match, a magnesium striker/starter, some wax soaked cotton balls and some strike anywhere matches in my bags and vehicles. Keep your eye out for an old electric water heater, the sacrificial anode in them is a magnesium rod and will make lots of magnesium scrapings for fire starters with a flint striker. I plan to add this permanganate to my kits as well. I bet your could scrape some pine rosin off a tree and use it almost as well as the glycerine. Worth trying. I also keep one of the plastic Fresnel lenses in my kits as well for using sunlight to start fires. 50+ years ago I was a boyscout, and I learned quite a bit from that organization and it is still valid today.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be more than glad to drive to Tuttle ... if you decide to buy, PM me your daddy and what I owe you and I'll get you a check in the mail ... no sense in making you wait on the $$$s ...

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Patti, I'm good on fronting the order, I have never been stiffed on this group before. If we go over 6 jugs, I might start wanting some assurances, but just let me know how many want in. Jim

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what Dave wants to do, or if he wants to order his own. I'm in the Tuttle area, not half way by any means but closer to Dave than anyone else. I'll be glad to order and meet with folks from either side as necessary. Just let me know. Jim

Jim,

I would have ordered the bulk, but I'm over an hour from Tuttle. My daughter lives up there, but I won't be getting up there or her down here any time real soon.

The gas and travel make a bulk buy on my end a washout.

Dave

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, my order from the water-softeners-filters.com of the 3 two pound jugs of potassium permanganate came in today. They look good.

Total for all 6 lbs came to 51.94 including shipping.

I did a little digging and found my original purchase from OnlineScienceMall.com.
I bought TWO ounces in November 2012.
Yes OUNCES.
Cost was just over $16.00 for the two OUNCES!!

This is a MUCH better deal.

Haven't tested it yet. Will have to dig some antifreeze out of the garage tomorrow and play!!

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom