The EDC Flashlight Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitcheck

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, just recently became aware that not all flashlights are created equal and a "flashlight is not just a flashlight". What are the important factors to consider besides the obvious lumens?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carry a Fenix PD20 every day for 3.5+ years. Handiest pocket tool I've ever had. Lost it a few months back and missed it so much I bought a new one, then of course the old one showed up. Once used it to stopped a stranger rapidly approaching me in QT parking lot late a night. Feel naked without a pocket light.

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've cut myself down to just three, but I carry ALL THREE OF THEM at the same time...

Every. Single. Day.

Surefire 6PX Pro on the belt, Surefire E1B Backup clipped inside the left front pocket and a Fenix E15 on my keys.

I also bought Mrs GED and my two daughters each a Fenix E05 for their keys. A black one for Mrs GED, a blue one for Jordan and a purple one for Chigger to match her pink and purple paracord lanyard and purple Spyderco Ladybug.

Did I mention her two favorite colors are Pink and Purple? :D

Sorry...no pics. :grumble:

Uh oh, GED just sold 2/3 of the lights he carries EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Now what?

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SMy current and favorite light is a Surefire 6PX Pro...also a backup cheap Nebo and then a very nice LED mini-mag. If only I could find a really good light in pink.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uh oh, GED just sold 2/3 of the lights he carries EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Now what?

I replaced them with, what I think is the best flashlight Surefire has ever created, the LX2 Lumamax.

I had one once before and like a dumbass, I sold it. :slap: But I found another one and now it is my light that I carry...

Every. Single. Day. :thumb:

I also decided to remove that Fenix E15 from my keyring and replace it with another Fenix E05 - a blue one to go along with my blue Leatherman Squirt PS4 and my yellow Spyderco Ladybug Salt with serrated blade. I simply drop that Fenix E15 in my front pocket to serve as my backup torch.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, just recently became aware that not all flashlights are created equal and a "flashlight is not just a flashlight". What are the important factors to consider besides the obvious lumens?

LED emitter is a must. They last longer, are more durable and use less juice than incandescent lamps do.

A tactical light should have a tailcap switch that can be used in momentary or constant on. Some type of anti-roll feature such as a hex head bezel ring is nice in case you have to lay it down, as is a tailstand so you can use it as a lamp if needed.

Run time should be at east an hour and a half.

You need to consider whether you'd be better served by a spot or flood style beam (which is why I prefer the Cree XML, because it does both). A lamp with a tightly focused beam will usually have more "throw", which may be important if what you use the light to illuminate is farther away.

Some people say you can have too many lumens, but I've more often found that not enough is the case. You can always use your hand or an object to filter the light output down if needed.

Some people like multiple switching options, such as low/high beam, strobe, etc. That's fine on an everyday general use light, but I prefer single mode lights for tactical work.

Above all, durability and reliability are a must have. Some of the cheap Chinese lights are not. Surefire lights are expensive, and worth the coin. They may not be cutting edge, but they're the most reliable.

Finally, when dealing with lights, the old adage of "Two is one and one is none" is true. Nothing worse than having your only available light crap out on you at a critical moment (I've seen it happen at low-light pistol matches). I generally carry the Centurion in my pocket and a weapon mounted light. If the hand held craps out in a general use scenario, you can dismount the weapon light and use it as a handheld in a pinch (which I've done).

Hope this helps!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll add that while more and more lumens seems to be the trend, I prefer longer-lasting battery life (though being a flash-a-holic, I do enjoy 200+ lumens in a flashlight).

If you plan on throwing it in the car for emergencies, don't put Alkaline batteries in it - buy the Lithium versions if you've got an AA/AAA light, or get a CR123 light that will ensure that it works when you need it.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Three years and counting on my Fenix LD10. Bought it from one of the old forum sponsors Fenix Outfitters. They still have some of the best Fenix prices out there.

IMG_0150.jpg

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up a fenix today. I think its the pd20. Has high to low settings and a strobe in an extremely small package. So far I think its awesome!!!!

Edit its the pd22

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up a fenix today. I think its the pd20. Has high to low settings and a strobe in an extremely small package. So far I think its awesome!!!!

Edit its the pd22

For the longest time I scoffed at the Fenix brand. Now, everybody in my household has an E05 on their keychain. I too recently removed my Fenix E15 from my keys and put a blue Fenix E05 on there in it's place. The E15 now rides in my front pocket. It's so awesome. :heart::heart:

Latest posts

Top Bottom