The fallacy of 'Behind every blade of grass' thinking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, the Iraqis were able to put on a pretty healthy and effective insurgency for 5 or 6 years. The US military had to completely invent brand new COIN tactics to fight what they were presented with in that insurgency. From the Iraqi perspective, their insurgency "worked", as the foreign power that invaded is no longer there occupying.

Nobody would ever mistake a rag-tag patchwork of civlian US firearm owners for a trained and commanded military fighting force that would ever take on an invading army force-on-force. That same armed civilian populace, however, could put on insurgent and guerilla warfare very easily.

Part of what I wanted to say except he said it better.

The shear number of arms in the US would enable whoever wanted to fight to be armed. I'm pretty sure the Iraqis did not have 89 guns per 100 people.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a fair question. However, if that had been a concern during Kristallnacht, it might've just been dealt with via more attritive methods. IE: a division of tanks or JU87s or something...

Maybe. I'm not sure they would have bombed or shelled German neighborhoods in broad daylight.

If the objective is slavery and subjugation, then a pile of corpses runs counter to that objective.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? Not unless you are a scumbag criminal or threat to national security.
According to DHS there are a lot of us that are potential threats. If you have too many guns, too much ammo, too much stored food, according to their definitions, you are a potential threat.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That was said about 70 years ago when it would have predominately been bolt action rifles against bolt action/lever action rifles. So i believe it would have been a correct statement 70 years ago.
Now days, yes we have legal FA guns in the civilian populace but typically no way near what a modern military infantry has on a per person basis. Yes we have the FA know how, but how many are going to have time to whip out their home made DIAS in a "time of need" much less have that ILLEGAL d.i.a.s. TESTED AND PROVEN.
Another thing is how many joe blow hunters know and understand guerilla warfare and modern ground troop tactics and how to counter one with the other? Simply many untrained chairforce comanders and i'll lead the way.
Time will tell.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was very thought provoking. I had never thought about the organizational issues you mentioned before. One thing I could see happening in a civilized society of rule followers is that when the knock comes at the door to disarm you, I doubt that there are too many "over my dead body" types that respond. I think that the majority of Americans would begrudgingly, but cooperatively hand over there firearms. That said, in a society that has the communication availabilities such as ours, it would not take long for the news to spread. I believe that we would see less than a 10% disarming before neighbors did ally up and form a very organized militia to defend each other. That covers internal threats that which I believe are largely artificially created by the NRA. As far as non domestic threats, I have no doubt in my mind that Americans would organize and defend. The attempt to create a comparison between the attempts of Iraqi insurgents and a civilian American defense is very flawed. First, you are using a primitive country sadly still in the early stages of organization, where the majority of citizens wanted us there in the first place. Second, you using a minority group in an already disorganized country and using their actions as the definition of your statement. Lastly, this group you are referring to in many cases had never used many of the weapons you are talking about. Now, in America you have a modern society whose people, though divided about many issues, would not be divided about an invading country. I'm not assuming that everybody in America would come to arms, but the majority would, and that majority are gun toting Americans who do know how to use their firearms. That combined with the US military is a more powerful militia than any in the world.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ethiopians managed to fend of the Italian military during WW2 with little more than spears and bows against tanks and planes for quite a while.

But then again, that was against Italians.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ethiopians managed to fend of the Italian military during WW2 with little more than spears and bows against tanks and planes for quite a while.

But then again, that was against Italians.

Some would contend France should be the WWII history lesson we should look at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom