The last two OC'rs I saw....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched a cop confront and an open carrier last week,,,
The cop was actually cool as all heck about it,,,
The open carrier on the other hand was not.

He was dressed very urban cowboy,,,
Wearing a gunslinger rig with a Ruger Single Six.

The cop didn't confront the man because he was open carrying,,,
He confronted him because he was resting his hand on the pistol.

Even then the cop was very calm about it,,,
Until the guy gave him some crap about the encounter,,,
So the cop explained how standing in a checkout line "fondling" his handgun,,,
Was grounds for him being cited for brandishing and "you need to calm down and not rest your hand on your gun".

I watched and took careful note of the entire encounter,,,
In my humble opinion the guy was showing off his macho attitude,,,
In this instance I do believe the cop was well within his purview to confront the cowboy wannabe.

I've really not seen that many people open carrying,,,
Other than a few mass displays at carry events,,,
Maybe a half a dozen since it became legal.

Aarond

He was OCing a 22?

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get lots of people commenting on my 1911s... I usually just nod and say thanks and move along. A few people you can tell want me to stop and talk guns with 'em, but I try to avoid it in that situation. I want to avoid the whole, "Hey can I see it?" thing. Don't want to be rude and say no. Once upon a time I let a guy see my carry weapons as we were waiting for some folks to arrive... don't get all out of sorts, we went to my truck, I personally unloaded them and inspected them before handing them over. But then, I thought to myself, "What am I gonna do if he just grabs on and runs away (this was in the middle of OKC)?" I woulda been stuck, really.

So, I resolved to avoid that situation in the future if possible... unless we're OSA buddies! :P

Awe c'mon...If you show me yours I'll show you mine. :bolt:

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw two OC'ers yesterday at Jerry's on 51st. Well one actually, I was the other one. :blush:
Looked like he had a nice commander size 1911.
I had a dress shirt on, hate to look like a dweeb and walk around with shirt tail hanging out.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally saw another OCer yesterday in Bartlesville. It's been quite a while. I happened to be OCing for a late-evening WalMart run, and at checkout noticed a guy in the next lane with his wife who was carrying an M&P in a Galco retention holster like mine (for 1911), but appeared to be a paddle model with the paddle in his front pocket. Not the best in terms of "retention" I suppose, but then again, I didn't see anyone attempt to take it.

Was nice to see another "normal" person OCing.

<edit> Ok, well, at least HE seemed normal... questions about me fitting into that category are probably valid.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...but appeared to be a paddle model with the paddle in his front pocket.

I see this type of holster worn that way quite often,,,
In fact it's the way one of the characters in "Criminal Minds" wears it.

I own a paddle holster so I tried it one time,,,
Man but it's uncomfortable that way.

I always wonder if it's their choice,,,
Or simple ignorance of how it was meant to be worn.

Aarond

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wore a paddle holster for competition at OCGC before when I had my beretta 92. It was good for the applicsyion but not for everday carry. Paddle holsters stick out too far IMHO.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the guys I have seen "open carrying" look like they instead should be carrying a "Will work for food sign". They were scraggly or dirty looking with homemade tattoos, and basically look like they recently got out of prison. I know everyone doesn't wear dress slacks and starched white shirts but the way these guys looked sure didn't seem to promote our RIGHT to open carry-cause very well.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the guys I have seen "open carrying" look like they instead should be carrying a "Will work for food sign". They were scraggly or dirty looking with homemade tattoos, and basically look like they recently got out of prison. I know everyone doesn't wear dress slacks and starched white shirts but the way these guys looked sure didn't seem to promote our RIGHT to open carry-cause very well.

If you saw me OCing in my cargo shorts and Adidas shirt, with my goatee and 5-days growth of beard, shaved head, tattoos on both legs, tattoo sleeves covering arms and earrings in both ears, you might not think I properly represent your right to carry, either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom