Thieves and Hoarders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am buying new ammo at the new more inflated prices to replace the ammo I shot up that I bought when it was at lower prices, then Im taking a loss. That sucks. But, if the ammo that I have stocked up thru my hoarding over the years is now worth current market price, then my hoard is way more valuable and Ive got profit sitting there. With that profit at home in mind when Im making new purchases at the newly inflated prices then it takes the sting out of buying new. So hoarding for personal use and not for re-selling which is what the majority of us hoarders are doing is actually not really hoarding at all- its a cost effective move especially if the prices keep going up.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No, I'm saying that ammo already has gone up in cost with no increase in value as the result of unethical business practices which exacerbate an already existing shortage making it worse than it otherwise would have been for the sole purpose of increasing their margins. People raised hell when it was happening with gasoline, so why do so many seem to think it's okay in this situation?

I'm also saying that the longer it continues the higher the potential is for the inflated prices to be considered the new norm, as people who deplete their existing stocks are faced with the choice of abandoning their hobby or paying those inflated prices. I'm not personally affected by it now - at least not very much - but as time continues I will be, and I know I'm not going to like it any more than I'll like paying $5.00 a gallon for gasoline when that happens. I only hope the folks who have condoned or defended the price gougers and find themselves in the position of having to pay $1 per round for .22LR remember how they got themselves to that point.

Yup, as I said it's nothing more than a supply and demand issue, prices will only remain high as long as people (those that didn't properly prepare for or adapt to the current situation) are willing to pay them.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OTOH ... if a few specific people are managing to buy out the entire stock of popular ammunition types within a 50 mile radius, each and every day, using a tax-exempt card which specifically indicates that they intend to resell it, and then pricing it at anywhere from 300% to 500% of what they paid and getting it because they've intentionally made themselves "the only game in town", when as a business they could purchase from the same distributors and at the same prices as any other business - but instead choose to deplete the supply of any reasonably priced competitors in the local marketplace to increase their own profit ... yeah, I think there's a problem with that.

Free market, it's a contest remember.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am buying new ammo at the new more inflated prices to replace the ammo I shot up that I bought when it was at lower prices, then Im taking a loss. That sucks. But, if the ammo that I have stocked up thru my hoarding over the years is now worth current market price, then my hoard is way more valuable and Ive got profit sitting there. With that profit at home in mind when Im making new purchases at the newly inflated prices then it takes the sting out of buying new. So hoarding for personal use and not for re-selling which is what the majority of us hoarders are doing is actually not really hoarding at all- its a cost effective move especially if the prices keep going up.

Kind of like this stuff I'm still trying to shoot up?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is called 'supply and demand', yes it has gone up, but as shelves get full and buying slows, so does the warehouse inventory, so production slows, so prices return to a more 'normal' level.

Folks also have to factor in an ever decreasing value of the dollar, and rising components prices. It will only go up over time, for the most part. A large glut of inventory will help drop the price, but that will only last so long. When it happens, take advantage of it.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A society run by a carny mindset?
Isn't it, though? ;)

"Supply and demand", "free market", "it's a contest" ... all oversimplifications of a complex situation, but hey if it makes people feel better ... have to level the playing field, avoid damaging anyone's self esteem, make sure that everyone knows they're a winner and all that ... (shrug)

Latest posts

Top Bottom