Thinking of buying a Fn Five Seven thoughts and sugestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought they sounded pretty cool when I first heard about them. Super high capacity and very fast with possible ability to penetrate bullet proof vests. After I looked into them a bit more, I became more and more underwhelmed. The ballistics out of the pistol barrel isn't THAT impressive. You can't get the penetrating bullets. Seemed more and more like a 22 magnum.

I'll stick to something more traditional like a 9mm, 40, 45, or even 357 SIG.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If money is no object to you, you may be happy with one. 5.7x28 ammo is not cheap and can be tough to find, same goes for magazines. I have no experience reloading it, but my books mention that the brass is only good for 2-3 loadings.

Diggerman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a lot of detractors of this caliber don't mention is that there is other commercially available ammo that significantly ups the performance. If you check out Elite Ammunition, you will see that there are some very potent loadings available. Yes, this ammo is back ordered at this time, but it is very high quality and worth the wait. Another point in the 22 mag comparison is that velocities given are often quoted using rifle length barrels for the 22 and the 5.7 is measured from pistol barrels. Loading up with some of the Elite stuff blows away any 22 mag pistol made. I've shot lots of the 5.7 stuff and I know that even with the weakened factory loads, it would ruin any one's day. These pistols really have a loud bark!:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom