Thinking of buying a Fn Five Seven thoughts and sugestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought about it too. Cool looking gun, but I'm just not impressed by the ammo. Cost, ballistics etc...
I'm waiting on the PM30 from Keltec to come out. 22mag with 30 rd mags. Half the price (or less) and the bullets are widely available.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told the FN57 was designed for USAF pilots as a sidearm. If they were downed, they could use it to shoot thru windshields, body armor, etc....

Of course those types of ammo aren't available for civilians.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave, the 5-7 was as you say, designed for pilots and others, primarily as a complement to the P90 PDW. Defeating armor is of concern to downed pilots trying to ward off regular soldiers, but as a civilian application, I'm not sure it's the best choice.

That being said, low recoil, high capacity...there's a lot to like.

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are really cool. It would be a fun one to have if you had some open land to play on. I have heard reports of plinking at 100+ yards with these little guns. They are quite expensive, but I think it would be a blast. CMMG also makes a 10 round extension to make it into a 30rd. weapon. In a pinch it would make a good defensive gun, but the 5.7 is by no means the end all be all cartridge in defensive handguns. It would make an awesome ranch companion.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the FiveSeven pistol and an AR in the 5.7.
I really like the low recoil and high capacity.
The pistol holds up to 30 rounds and the AR holds 50 rounds.
Ammo hasn't been a problem to find. Bass Pro has always had it when I needed some.
The cost of the ammo is the problem. The cheapest I have bought was $17/50 and the highest was $30/50

Yojinbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cons:
If you shoot toward Kansas your brass will land near Colombia, MO.
They anti-gun folks hate the PS90 and the round. Bans are feared.
You need a good sized hand to hold them (so universal PDW use seems odd, especially for Europeans)
Neither the USG or the IOM grips are very comfortable to me.
You would need to be a BIG person to conceal a 57 in the summer.
Even the SS192 is very hard on steel target plates.
They are loud as has been pointed out.
The two widely available rounds (SS195 and SS197) have wildly different impact points at 25yds. Maybe 6 inches Up/Down variance.
Mall ninjas 'like them' (but may not own them) so you may be guilty by association.
That is SO much money for a lump of plastic.
Fit and finish not wonderful (standing seams, etc)
Once $ource for brass, either pull live rounds or reload.

Pros:
20 rounds.
Good accuracy on the three guns I have held.
A person could easily tote hundreds of rounds of ammo in those tiny boxes.
The unloaded handgun is almost weightless compared to a 1911.
The caliber is interesting to me as a possible bolt, carbine and pistol triple play (with the inherent disadvantages, of course).
They seem to be holding value - I never see used ones "cheap".

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is really a fun pistol to shoot,as long as you are prepared to pay for the ammo. Those who have attempted to reload the 5.7 have not been able to find the right powder to duplicate factory performance. I think I will stick with a .22 Mag instead.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 mag has been mentioned several times in this thread..
how close is .22 mag to 5seven's performance?

I think it is really a fun pistol to shoot,as long as you are prepared to pay for the ammo. Those who have attempted to reload the 5.7 have not been able to find the right powder to duplicate factory performance. I think I will stick with a .22 Mag instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom