Times I've been thankful for my license, and more thankful I didn't have to use it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphillipw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been meaning to write about these for a while. They are written from oldest to most recent, the oldest happening over a year ago, and most recent within the last month or so.

Three CCW stories:

Time: Summer 2010, on a lunch break
Place: Sports World in Tulsa
Hardware: Judge Public Defender

I know what you're thinking. Seriously? Outside a gun store? Absolutely. I had an hour long lunch break and worked near Sports World. I love spending time there, and it's a great way to blow an hour. On my way out and back to work a homeless man asked me for money. I never carry cash, and I don't like to get in situations like that anyway. I got in my car and started to drive away when I noticed him running. I slowed to a stop to see what he was doing. Wrong move. When I stopped he turned at a right angle and headed straight for my car. I was a little slow on the uptake, so he had time to close the distance to my car. I had two choices gun it or gun it. And I made the right choice. I dropped it in first and gunned it, the car (Civic SI with a peppy VTEC), not the homeless man. Looking back now, the choice was obvious, but I'm very thankful I had option B. Who's to say he wouldn't have charged me before I got in my car?

Time: Christmas 2010
Place: Outside the BOK Center Downtown Tulsa
Hardware: Springfield XD40 sub-compact

Downtown Tulsa is not always the friendliest place, especially not at night when it's cold and another homeless person thinks you have a lot of money. My wife and I were with her folks headed at a fast trot down the road toward a concert. A man started hassling us for money just asked once at first and when we ignored him he became more aggressive growing louder and following us. My wife asked "Are you packin'?" and I was glad I could answer affirmatively. In a funny twist, my in-laws dropped back a-ways and then sped up to catch up with my wife and I. All I saw out of the corner of my eye was a man running up behind my wife after we were being harassed. I turned around ready to deck someone and I had to stop short of punching my father-in-law in the nose. My mother-in-law laughed about it the whole night. Again, I didn't need it, but I had it, and I was very glad I did.

Time: Spring 2012
Place: Wal-Mart in Grove, OK
Hardware: Ruger SP101 .357 mag

While vacationing earlier this year at Grand Lake, my wife decided she wanted to make S'Mores in the hotel room, so we headed to Wal-Mart. We decided we wanted some bottled water so we looked around for the correct aisle. The aisles at the Grove Wal-Mart are razor thin, so people were kind of backed up to get through the aisles. I thought nothing of people standing close behind. So when a couple of teens walked up close behind I didn't pay much attention. I said "excuse me" and stepped aside so they'd have room to pass and turned my back. When I turned my back they stepped closer to me and stopped right behind me instead of going around. The foremost's chin was actually at my shoulder. I turned and looked askance at them and grabbed hold of the grips of my .357 (still concealed). When I made eye contact they turned and started walking away. Later, I saw the same two teens roaming the larger aisles with a gang of about 7-10 other teens. I made a point of watching them the rest of the time we were at the store if we were in the same area. I was very thankful I didn't have to use it, but at the same time, I'm glad I was prepared if I needed it.

I've never had to draw my weapon. I'm very thankful for this, but I'm also thankful I've never wished for one and not had it. These stories are just the more serious times that have stood out to me. There have been many other times I was glad to have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom