Today's the day...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on what you plan to plant and for what season (bow, muzzle or HP) I would not plant until Sept or early Oct. This is based on planting perrenials... clover,brassicas or alfalfa.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not planting just yet. just beginning to get the plot ready to plant. Planting will be in sept. need to disc the hell out of it first. im just planting wheat. I dont get too scientific with it. i just mow, disc, plant, and pray. Then hopefully...prey. Come on big buck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
not planting just yet. just beginning to get the plot ready to plant. Planting will be in sept. need to disc the hell out of it first. im just planting wheat. I dont get too scientific with it. i just mow, disc, plant, and pray. Then hopefully...prey. Come on big buck!

I started in the middle of june on some of the food plots. Hail wiped out the wheat crop, so It got disked up a couple of times now. Same area got flooded last year, so the weed seeds were rampant.
Pipeliners put a line through one end of the place, and I have to maintain the easement, so its a good place for another food plot:D
Like you, it will go into wheat mostly, but This year, I'm going to try and mix some soy beans in with the wheat in the drill. The cold weather will eventually kill the beans, but they will add nitrogen to the soil.
Oh, yeah, I always put some turnips in with the wheat. Good eating, for me, and the deer will eat the greens after the first light frost when they turn sweet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom