Trucks.. Ford Chevy or RAM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why no love for the Toyota? Just courious.

It's more of a respect thing

My father in law worked for ford all his life. Working for them he was able to provide a good home for his family and put food on the table. I don't think he would care if I bought a domestic vehicle but I know he would care if I bought a tundra. The man would do anything for me no question.

Other then that All I know is that i think the older ones look better

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We own a 2016 F350 dually and a 2015 Toyota Tundra and they're both very nice trucks.

The F350 is built like a brick ****-house. I pull a 15,800 (dry) 5th wheel trailer with it that's 42 foot long and get 13 miles to the gallon all day long. Obviously it's a diesel. When I'm not pulling, I get 13.4 miles to the gallon. all. day. long. I got he Lariat package with the captains chairs up front. The console is an absolute must have IMHO. The truck has a lot of bells and whistles. I didn't come with a locking diff from the factory but none of the dual wheel models do (they should offer it). Oil changes are a snap. This thing takes over 3 gallons of oil at an oil change! 3 freakin' gallons! Of all the amenities, the only one that sucks is the nav unit. It's TERRIBLE. Luckily, Ford fixed this in 2017. They ditched their MyTouch system and went with one that's android based and is much snappier. they also upgraded the resolution of the display. Other than that, there's not a single thing I don't like about this truck. It's a crew cab long bed, so it can be a bit of a pain to park in certain places, but that's nit-picky.

The wife's Tundra is like a Cadillac. The interior is very well appointed. the rear seat space is phenomenal and everyone that has ridden back there is surprised by how comfortable those seats are. It's pretty capable off-road even with street tires. Her is the Limited trim package so it has the fancy 20" wheels and the nav (which is miles ahead of what Ford can offer). After a few trips to the stand and getting it really muddy, we're she is starting to get pretty loud suspension squeak. I'm not sure if I just need to clean the rear leafs better or what. Oh, and it's developed a whine in the rear end. Needless to say, it's going in for service. It only has 10K miles on it.

I had to change the oil in the Tundra recently and it's a major PITA. you have to remove a front skid plate to get to the oil filter housing. It doesn't use a traditional oil filter, it uses an oil filter element, so you have to have their special wrench to replace it. Getting the skid plate back on was a nightmare. Oil changes will be left to the local shops from here on out. Someone screwed up big time in this area of engineering.

I prefer my Ford of the Toyota.

Last edited:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What axle gears do you have in your f350 Aviator?

3.73 Limited Slip (code 3L) which gives a max trailer weight of 23,500 and a GCWR 32,100. The next step up was only available with their "high capacity towing" package which was the 4.30 giving a Max Trailer of 26,500 and a GCWR of 35,000. We were told that to get a truck with that rear end, it would have to be special ordered because most folks that need that kind of towing just bump up to an F450.

The trucks sticker shows a GVWR of 14000 which leaves me with 18,100 of usable capacity. With the RV in tow we have about 2300lbs of room for our junk and anything in the tanks, which is plenty.

That may be more info than you wanted, but I did a lot of math and double-checking before I bought this truck so I thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not too much info, 3.73 here as well, you're running with more hp/tq than my 12', but with more weight than me. I can get 15.5 all highway, 14.5 average running around, and 10 pulling the broncos across the country. Sorry for the hijack OP.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20160411_161936_zpstlq0y46y.jpg

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not too much info, 3.73 here as well, you're running with more hp/tq than my 12', but with more weight than me. I can get 15.5 all highway, 14.5 average running around, and 10 pulling the broncos across the country. Sorry for the hijack OP.

I would imagine as I continue to break it in mileage will go up. I noticed a sizeable increase in fuel economy once we hit 5K miles. I'm almost to 10K miles now and it's steadily improving. Up around the 20K, I expect to start seeing peak MPG.

Swab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work at a concrete construction company and we have multiple one ton trucks that pull trailers almost every day. 3 Ram 3500s ('13-'15), 1 Ford F350 ('14), and 1 Silverado 3500 ('06) all crew cab diesels. The ford is a solid truck, but it's had problems that have warranted the dash being torn out on 3 separate occasions. The RAMs have all been in the dealer for recall work on the ignition switch. The silverado has only had idler arm/pitman arm replaced. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a RAM or GM truck. In fact, our next truck purchase will be a GM 1 ton, but it's a preference for interior compared to the others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For those of you saying the Ford is weak because of the new aluminum bed, do you have a bedliner in your current truck? If so, why? If the steel beds are far superior, then you shouldn't need one.
Get a spray in bedliner and the aluminum bed of the Ford is on par with anything else sporting the same liner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom