Tulsa Firearms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helmethead

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
my father and i were both members for a few years till i realised i paid $75 for a membership then had to pay a $10 range fee every time i went. I was going at least every other week if not every week so that added up to around $375 to just use the range. i have decided i will be getting a membership to the shooting academy where i can use all of there ranges and it is a lot nicer of an environment and staff.

Eric how much is ussa membership andhow much per day for members? Do they have indoor and outdoor?

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eric how much is ussa membership andhow much per day for members? Do they have indoor and outdoor?

This info is directly from USSA's website at www.usshootingacademy.com

At USSA, we have created a 93-acre high-tech training and shooting facility featuring: turning target systems, reactionary steel targets, a fully armored ballistic shoot house, a tactical assault training area, and countless other training amenities. There is simply no place better suited to meet all of your training and competition needs.
The yearly membership program consists of five member options:
Member Coupon Booklet$150 - $275*Trigger Time / Family$495 - $615or $43.25 - $53.25 per monthProfessional$1,575or $133.25 per monthElite$5,500or $460.33 per monthCorporate$400**Day Pass$20 for one full day visit****
USSA members have access to 20+ specialized training bays seven days a week including:
  • Turning targets.
  • Running targets (mover)
  • Reactive steel targets with automatic reset
  • Resetting plate racks
  • Dynamic movement bays*** (some props included)
  • Steel Shoot off range
  • 100 meter Carbine range
  • 300 meter Rifle range
  • Elite level member bay***

FTB44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They seem to rely heavily on the "Insurance Thing" explanation for many issues. I understand this is regarding a woman, many years ago, came in and rented a weapon, then committed suicide on the range (old news reports). There was nothing anyone at Tulsa Firearms could have known or done differently, not there fault.

That said, in my opinion, some of the staff use the "Insurance Thing" as a cover and don't treat members and visitors well.

It is given that they can't know ones experience/ability and that their job is difficult “people with guns,” maintainance and EPA regs, etc. Tulsa Firearms also use the "Insurance Thing" to add charges when moving between rifle and pistol ranges.

Tulsa Firearms is the only indoor range and therefore, it is what it is. When there no competition, then issues do arise. The prices are high for member and non-members, but it’s supply and demand at work. So I don't shoot in the winter much.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They seem to rely heavily on the "Insurance Thing" explanation for many issues. I understand this is regarding a woman, many years ago, came in and rented a weapon, then committed suicide on the range (old news reports). There was nothing anyone at Tulsa Firearms could have known or done differently, not there fault.

That said, in my opinion, some of the staff use the "Insurance Thing" as a cover and don't treat members and visitors well.

That happened at Tulsa Firearms? I hear stories about that but I didn't know it was in Tulsa.

I understand how a lot of their policies are safety things, especially because they're a public range where any jackass can walk in. They run you through that safety briefing every time (or at least they did with me, probably because I'm a young fella) for this reason; same with no rapid fire, no draw-fire, etc. They do ease up on you after a while when they get to know who you are. I can even understand the prohibition on steel-jacketed ammunition, since it (supposedly) sparks on the backstops and can cause a fire.

However, I never liked that they make you use their targets. I paid $75 for a membership, then $10 range fee, and I can't shoot my own paper? They have that sign that says, "No alien targets," and I could never tell if that meant that you couldn't use outside targets, pictures of ET, or what.

Also, if they're so worried about insurance claims they should fix their ******* ventilation. Modern primers emit lead vapors when they ignite, and breathing that is bad news. I spent an hour at a really nice indoor range by my grandpa's house, and I didn't have that nasty gunpowder aftertaste in the back of my mouth, nor did I blow my nose and have my snot come out black like at TF.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing with the targets as i understand is they must be flame retardant or something like that. We had some once and the guy said we couldn't use them because they were not fire proof. Call it what you may but that's what they said....im sure they all burn the same. Perhaps its sparks. I can understand the rapid fire and drawn fire rules. I saw a video where a guy was rapid firing a glock and shot himself. It was a full auto conversion or something of that nature. I would never have thought that was the reason. But after asking I understand. Rapid firing means the muzzle continues to rise. I hate the yearly membership plus range fees myself...Thats the main reason we shoot at Happy Hollow. But it sure was cold Monday when we went shooting and I was glad I had my Tulsa Firearms membership. Its the only game in town and if it bothers me that much I will just shoot elsewhere. But until then I suck it up and take trigger time over little inconveniences.

skippy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah it was cold outside brrrrrr maybe we could get some heat inside the bays next time ;) but all in all as uncivil says it is the only game in town so if we wanna shoot on a cold drizzly day thats where we have to go

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I joined tulsa firearms when I first moved here 4 years ago, the second time I went there I had no extra .38 super ammo with me so I bought a box of theirs, It jammed every shot in my gun, After about 35 rounds I took it back and asked to borrow a cleaning rod to get a stuck case out of the chamber, I told them the ammo was bad but I would still pay for it, Some "kid" came back with a cleaning rod and said give me your gun and I will get the stuck case out I told him no I would do it myself, He didn't want to let me do it myself? He acted as if he were the only one qualified to do it? ( I built this gun myself ) Then he blamed my gun for the jam instead of their ammo, So after I took the rod from his hand and removed the stuck case myself I put in my 8 rounds of personal ammo I had with me and showed him it wouldn't jam he then said it was because my gun was dirty?? ( just fired 8 rounds perfectly) I went back one more time to that range and gave them my membership card.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They want to be the ones to work on any gun that is having a problem. My biggest deal was i was 20 when i got my membership and they didnt bother to tell me that not only am i not allowed to keep my membership card wiith me but i was only allowed to shoot rifles there and they would not give me a refund after they told me this.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A retail firearms range, which caters to many customers of limited firearms skill, has to go beyond what some would consider prudent to insure reasonable safety for its other customers and the employees. The range has to do what it has to do to remain in business. The rules and employee behaviors may be annoying to some. Some will be annoyed enough to go find a private club to join.

TF, like numerous other retail ranges around the country, has had multiple suicides occur on its premises over the years. It is just the nature of the business. It will happen again; no way I can see to stop it from reoccurring.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to make the short drive to Collinsville and try Medlock's. They appreciate your business. I've never had a bad or rude experience there.
+1 for Medlock's. They are very informative and not rude at all when you don't know something. That's the reason I go out of my way to go to Medlock's. It really irritates me when you go into a gun shop and the seller acts he knows all. Try Medlock's

Latest posts

Top Bottom