Turned out innocent, but I sure was glad to be well armed...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run a wrecker service here in OKC. Tonight, after we did out Sat night bar crowd towing, all the drivers left and I was about to go home...when I hear loud voices and a car door outside. I kill the lights and take a peek through the heavy curtains. I see two men sitting right outside in a pickup. I can't tell what they are doing out there, but it was 2:30am, and I wasn't going outside while knowing they were out there. Not really in the mood to be robbed.

So I check my carry piece and get out my bug. And I wait. and wait. They don't leave, so I call PD. I tell them that I am locked inside, and that I'm armed. After PD calls me back 3 times to tell me to secure my firearm? It's in a holster, I'm good...finally the dispatcher tells me not to approach the officer with a weapon (sheesh, they are more worried about my gun than these possible BGs), I tell the dispatcher that I have zero plans to approach the officer... I'll just wait inside, thanks.

Finally 30 mins later one officer arrives, talks to the guys in the truck, and leaves. Not word one to me. I had to call back to find out who these guys are, and why they are sitting outside my closed business at nearly 4am. Turns out they got a flat and were waiting for someone to bring them a spare. It's now 4:30 and they still haven't left. Guess I'm sleeping on the couch at the office tonight.

Point to all this? I felt very comforted knowing that sitting in here in the semi dark, I know that if someone breaks in that I have the tools and the knowledge to take care of myself if needed. I'd like to also thank the State legislature and the Governor for making the Castle law cover me in my business.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'd have to write a letter to your PD to let them know that I wasn't particularly pleased with their lack of concern for me. They really should have let you know what is/was going on.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmm....seems as though the dispatcher over reacted to you and not your problem. cant trust a dispatcher to convey your concern to the officer. Most dispatchers have never even been on a ride along so they really have no idea whats going on other than what they think is happening from your explanation. the dispatcher may have never even told the officer you were inside. Did you ask the dispatcher to tell the officer you wanted to talk to them? When you said you wanted to stay inside the dispatcher may have assumed you didnt want LEO contact. You really need to spell out what you need and want with dispatchers. Some get it and some dont. others just dont care.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'd have to write a letter to your PD to let them know that I wasn't particularly pleased with their lack of concern for me. They really should have let you know what is/was going on.
I agree if they are out side your business they should have let you know. Especially after you told dispatch that you had firearms. I would have called you and told what was up just because of that.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend and co-worker had a bad experience in our small town about ten years ago - started with his house being broken into and almost all his guns stolen. The prime suspects were a bunch of dopies that lived next door, but couldn't prove what everyone knew. A couple of weeks later he is awakened by someone trying to break in his front door - gets on the phone and advises 911 dispatcher of the situation and adds that he has a pistol (.40 cal Glock) and intends to shoot the SOB if he comes through the door. Officers arrive and arrest the perpetrator, who is indeed one of the dopies from next door, and then proceed to light my friend up like he was the main problem in the equation. :(

I wonder what would happen if you called 911 and were not satisfied with the response - then said "Please transfer me to another dispatcher"???

Cedar Creek

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did they tell you to put up the gun AND then it was 30 minutes later before someone showed up?? Or did they call you back to tell you to put it up right before they got there? And contact really should have been mandatory if you had your were to a point where you felt like you needed your gun out, the only way one should have not talked to you is if you specifically requested not to be talked to.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if you called 911 and were not satisfied with the response - then said "Please transfer me to another dispatcher"???

Cedar Creek

Ask for the supervisor over dispatch if it's a dispatch issue, or ask for a police supervisor if it has to do with the officer.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with a dispatcher. Made the mistake of telling her that GC and I were both armed. Also told her that he was a trooper. She still bugged out on me. Lesson learned: It's not the dispatcher you need to tell you are armed -- it's the officers who respond to the call.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not only that but it took 'em 30 MINUTES to even show up!

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with a dispatcher. Made the mistake of telling her that GC and I were both armed. Also told her that he was a trooper. She still bugged out on me. Lesson learned: It's not the dispatcher you need to tell you are armed -- it's the officers who respond to the call.

WTH? What did they do by "bugging" out? I know you are saying it because of that issue, but the officers need to know before they get there that you have a gun so they know how to better respond. Could be they show up and see you popping off a round in self defense and don't know you are the "good guy"

Latest posts

Top Bottom